Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
I didn't find any Corid yet, but I am less worried about the 2 chicks. This morning, I did my best to force feed a tiny bit of food and water by pushing it against the side of their beaks. After I got them jump started, they both ate a tiny bit on their own before retreating under the Ecoglow.

This afternoon, I put out food moistened with kefir. All the chicks came running as usual, but this time the two sluggish ones came out on their own (this is a major improvement) and they each ate quite a bit, even jostling their way in to get at the food dish.

I'm going to need to keep an eye on them, but they are both more perky than before, although more sluggish than the other chicks. I had been mixing medicated feed with flock raiser for more protein, but I switched to just medicated for now. I did give them a clump of sod from the yard, starting at day 1.

I didn't find any Corid yet, but I am less worried about the 2 chicks. This morning, I did my best to force feed a tiny bit of food and water by pushing it against the side of their beaks. After I got them jump started, they both ate a tiny bit on their own before retreating under the Ecoglow.

This afternoon, I put out food moistened with kefir. All the chicks came running as usual, but this time the two sluggish ones came out on their own (this is a major improvement) and they each ate quite a bit, even jostling their way in to get at the food dish.

I'm going to need to keep an eye on them, but they are both more perky than before, although more sluggish than the other chicks. I had been mixing medicated feed with flock raiser for more protein, but I switched to just medicated for now. I did give them a clump of sod from the yard, starting at day 1.

are you putting any electrolytes in their water ? If not, sometimes even a little sugar will help with some energy. also, non filtered apple cider vinegar

Oh good, you got them to eat. Glad to hear they are feeling better. I hope they improve for you.
fl.gif

Thank you for the information on the sod and what you are feeding them. I do have Corid and Sulmet on hand just in case, but I wanted to try the "natural" method of letting them build up an immunity. Seems to have worked on the Lavenders so far. Next test case will be.. Sillies!.. um.. Silkies...

are you putting any electrolytes in their water ?  If not, sometimes even a little sugar will help with some energy.  also, non filtered apple cider vinegar

I'm putting Avia Charge 2000 in their water. Not sure if there are electrolytes in that. I wasn't sure if I could put both ACV and Avia Charge in the water at the same time, so at first I was alternating days, and then some days put both in. I only did sugar once at the beginning, when one I had to help hatch was struggling, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try that again.
Thanks for your advice.

I didn't intentional but my Lavs are throwing whites in my second generation. The white shows OVER the Lavs. They hatch gray and yellow.... eventually turn all white. The lavender will not show with 2 copies of recessive white.

I personally would not make lavenders from whites. Black are your best bet with the lavenders. I did make whites from my lavs LOL. Pretty ones too
lol.png

Is this model based on chicken genetics or other animal genetics?

I am just learning chicken genetics, and from what I understand in chickens a black chicken is not controlled by one gene in a pure form. A pure black chicken requires at least two separate genes to express as black. Even E (Extended Black base) requires another gene to modify the whole chicken to a black bird. And E is a dominant gene - not a recessive gene..

I am not sure how your Model will work in chickens.... Or if it does it doesn't mesh with any other model of feather coloring that I have ever seen.

What is your Mendelian Model based on? Or is it describing each separate feather's possible coloring? I would like to know how to apply this to feather coloring - but I don't know where to use what you are describing...

In fact tit dose. I have now had three clutches of Lavender Japanese Bantam based on this model. It is the same model I used in dogs and horses and the results are exactly the same.

The dilute gene has no color and when in its pure form as you mention it produces a white that has blue eyes and no skin color. It is in fact an albino . This color seems to be behind the coloring found in Japanese Bantams affecting the over all body color but except for the head.

My dark Grey or Black rooster when coupled with this dilettante female has produced the 2 in four extremely dilettante Greys called Lavender and then in the same clutch they have produced the expected black and the one white.

O.K. Lets look at the Mendelian Model. Symbols I use.

B. for Black controlled by one gene in a pure form Pure recessive since all colors are made up of black genes modified in one way or another.
Br. For Brown which is a black modified by a dilute modifier which is an incomplete modifier as is the black modifier which has resulted in Grey. One has the ability to completely modify black to blue or when in consonances with with another modifier to Lavender . That is the modifier which expresses the Br. Gene has been altered to modify the black to red.

White is expressed as as a Color and also as the pure dilute in either W which is for the color white and the mm which is absence of a color to modify. This gene is expressed as an albino chicken in its purest form. The blue eyes and no coloration to the skin and eyes.

. Place the colors you desire to work with in this model and you will find that in eight cases only one will be a pure mm. I hope . It has been a while.
I understand some genetics but I can't figure this one out. Blue is NOT Related to lavender at all. Lavender does not work with blue to dilute it further to LAVENDER. Lavender dilutes black and red (maybe something else too can't remember) In fact you DON'T want to use blues.

White is another story. There are 2 whites at work in chickens. Rec White and Dom White. Rec White is like Lavender it takes 2 copies of the gene to express. Dom White is just that, one copy is all that is needed to express. It is an incomplete Dominate White and will bleed other colors if they just have one copy of Dom White.

Albino's are not the same as white chickens and an albino would have PINK EYES not blue.

One of these days I will get the book The Colour of Chickens.... I think that is it. It explains the genetics behind all chicken colors in plain english. I know when I have read post from other that have come from breeding other animal they are TOTALLY lost with chickens and have to start over. Just a different ball games.

The dilute gene has no color and when in its pure form as you mention it produces a white that has blue eyes and no skin color. It is in fact an albino . This color seems to be behind the coloring found in Japanese Bantams affecting the over all body color but except for the head.

My dark Grey or Black rooster when coupled with this dilettante female has produced the 2 in four extremely dilettante Greys called Lavender and then in the same clutch they have produced the expected black and the one white.

White chickens are NOT albinos. Albinos lack ANY pigment even in the eyes..... resulting in PINK EYES.

Blue's do not produce Lavenders. Lavender is a gene UNRELATED to blue. They don't work together. You might get blue chicks of all different colors even splash.... but not lavender. A lot of people think Lavender is a light blue it is not. A lot of people think all light colored chickens are Lavender they are NOT. Blue does not breed true.... Lavender Does.

If you have white popping up from chickens that are not white.... you birds are carrying rec white and it will continue to pop up unless you cull for it.

This year the weather has been tough on brooding chicks.DW has banned them from the basement and garage years ago.So they are kept in the pole barn.It is hard to keep the temp up on 25 degree nights but a extra heat lamp does the trick.I put a broody to work for about a month moving her to the youngest chicks.Not all broodies will allow this.Now that she is laying again I find the youngest chicks benefit from wet feed put into the heated area until they learn to leave the heat to feed and drink.The Feed and water will not fit into the heated are but is in the edge of the heat.A couple of older chicks are left to help them learn.I keep gro gel and sulmet on hand so I have them if needed.Thought this info might be of use to someone.

Back
Top Bottom