Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
I am so glad that that many of your eggs are doing good. I am more worried about yours hatching than mine. Remember, you might get a white chick like rorporp23 as mine carry recessive white also.
Keeping fingers crossed for a good hatch for Seth.

I had a tragedy yesterday. The grow out pen for the Lavs and Blacks I got in March is next to my BCM pen. Yesterday the Ameraucana chicks connected the hole that the BCM made on their side of the wire and went under into the BCM pen. I guess they followed each other in there. I lost 8 Blacks and 5 Lavs. These were all Paul Smith. I now only have 2 male Lav chicks from that order.
he.gif
I had 16 lavs from paul and now only 2 left after coyote attack . i lost everything. A cream legbar trio , 7 out of my 10 black ams lost. 8 out of my 10 blue wheatens lost.

Out of 40 paul smith birds i only have 10 left.

2 lav 3 black 1 blue wheaten 1 wheaten and 3 blues .

Did the Marans kill them? I have never had anything like that happen with other birds, just raccoons.
So sorry. I know that was one long wait list too
hugs.gif
It had to be the Marans. And they tore them up pretty bad too.
Yep, it was a long wait, I ordered them last August. I feel fortunate to not have lost them all.

Here are the bad guys.

This is one of the two I have left.

I had 16 lavs from paul and now only 2 left after coyote attack . i lost everything. A cream legbar trio , 7 out of my 10 black ams lost. 8 out of my 10 blue wheatens lost.

Out of 40 paul smith birds i only have 10 left.

2 lav 3 black 1 blue wheaten 1 wheaten and 3 blues .
My goodness! And I was whinnng. I am so sorry you lost that many. I'm sure that was a major set back.

I am so sorry for everyone's losses. I would be devastated!

I have to say, though, that the photo of "the bad guys" is one of the funniest chicken photos I have ever seen. Their expressions are priceless.

My goodness! And I was whinnng. I am so sorry you lost that many. I'm sure that was a major set back.
its so sad and they are mostly males. male wheaten, male blue wheaten, two of the blacks males and two of the blues all males. Lucky for me the two lavs are females and i have one black and one blue female.

It is such a major set back. i waited over a year for them. i maid my order first of the year, but now ill be out another two seasons before im breeding the birds i want.

I hope my cream legbars make some progress this year and i hope my other projects will hold me over. Im so sry you lost yours to little wings its just so sad.

My heart is broken for you guys that lost so many to tragedies. Hugs and lotsa love to both of you!!!
hugs.gif

Rorp, way to go on a good hatch. Can't wait to see photos of the new little ones! ;-)

Going to candle here shortly once the sun goes down a bit more and the basement is good and dark. The Brinsea is holding steady at 99.3-99.7, it only fluctuates at night (gets warmer) so I am keeping fingers crossed that it's mimicking the night-time broody sleeping on the nest and won't cause any problems.

Goose&Fig, that picture is ADORABLE!!!

My self-blue OEGB hens are BOTH setting a nest of 10-12 eggs...it's so funny to see two hens in the same nest box together, all puffed up. When I fried up 9 of their eggs before they went broody on the nest, I had a 2/3 fertility rate. All the eggs I've candled of theirs look to be developing well. So, we'll have chicks from those if anyone is interested? Otherwise, a bigger coop will be in order for all of them! haha

I'll report back on the candling of the eggs we got from Little Wing here shortly...wish us luck!

Well, 2 more are down...we've got 14 left though that are well-webbed, air cells looking better/more stable, and a few even moved a little when I turned their egg to put the flashlight underneath. The 2 I had to chuck were late deaths...I could clearly see where development arrested. Looked 1/2 the size of the others I could see outlines of. I'm hopeful for all the remaining eggs, but I will say there are 4-5 that are REALLY promising. Very well-vesseled, moving, and even saw a tiny foot in one!

We go into lockdown Friday afternoonish. I've been worried about the humidity in that Brinsea, even with no water in it, I can't get it below 57% even though the reading for the room is 37%. I'm assuming that's the hygrometer probe picking up the water evaporating from the eggs...let's hope so. Friday I'll fill the trays and put a 5x7" sterile sponge in the bottom to bump up the humidity to around 70% or higher. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom