Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Actually, I've made an apparatus of a toilet paper roll attached to a wood block base where I've housed a 20-LED small flashlight. It's pretty danged bright! I just press the button on the bottom of the flashlight and voila - instant candler. I want (and it's on my wish list) the Brinsea candler. It's just too expensive for the time being, but this little thing I've made works like a charm.

I just eggtopsied the two I had to chuck - one barely developed past vessel stage, the other was completely missing its body. Darn the USPS and their handling of that package. Makes me want to throttle someone.
he.gif

I just eggtopsied the two I had to chuck - one barely developed past vessel stage, the other was completely missing its body. Darn the USPS and their handling of that package. Makes me want to throttle someone.
he.gif

if you have air cells that are wonky - try to hatch the eggs vertical with the large end up

I use a 250 lumens flashlight. I put a water bottle top on top to make it more focused. Works great. Costco has a 500 lumens flashlight 2 pack for like 20 bucks.... maybe 30 cant remember now. Great deal though. They EAT batteries though. You can see in marans and ams. Nothing will show the olive eggers.

This is only 100 lumens, but I like that it is small and focused. I think DH got it on WOOT. I used a bigger brighter flashlight before, but it wasn't focused and I had trouble seeing through things, even using a tube. And I like the red light option for going in the coop at night.
http://www.ledlenser.com/flashlight/pocket-size/v2_dual_color
I have that one! It does work for the Orp eggs, and great for goose eggs (why can';t they all be as visible as DUCK eggs???), but these blue ones...I think my cuckoo project eggs are actually olive eggs with the blue on the outside. They are impossible!

Thanks guys!

What kind of candler are you using? I need to find something better...wasting too much space with quitters and the like.
Good luck on the hatch!!
I use a cool lite.I candle at 7 days and leave the eggs in the spotsman tray.Turn the basement lights off and just go over the eggs row by row.Works fine except on the really dark shelled eggs

Back
Top Bottom