Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Wow what beautiful animals. I am very excited because I got 20 chicks from Paul and Angela Smith last month (they are 5 weeks old today) I just moved them into their new coop and they are doing great. Slick4591, I noticed that you are in Texas too and wanted to ask you how your ameraucanas fared during the summer last year. They don't have wattles nor big combs so I wonder if it is harder for them to go thru these awful summers we have in Texas. I have a fan in the run and a fan in the coop, also I have cross ventilation and in my area there is a good breeze most of the time, I give them plenty of water and cold treats in the evening. I also have a huge dirt box for them to cool off in it. I have a 14 month EE that has a hell of a time in this heat so I would like to know how your beautiful birds did last summer.

Thank you, everyone for your replies. I did find a breeder who is just outside of Austin, but they don't have lavender Ameraucanas :-( Out of curiosity, how much on average are adult birds? The breeder sells hatching eggs and straight-run chicks, but I really don't want a rooster. Even though my yard is an acre, how it is situated, I have neighbours who are close. Also, I know nothing of breeding chickens and am afraid! Can you eat a freshly laid fertilized egg? I'd somehow feel weird doing it.

Thank you, everyone for your replies.  I did find a breeder who is just outside of Austin, but they don't have lavender Ameraucanas :-(  Out of curiosity, how much on average are adult birds?  The breeder sells hatching eggs and straight-run chicks, but I really don't want a rooster.  Even though my yard is an acre, how it is situated, I have neighbours who are close.  Also, I know nothing of breeding chickens and am afraid!  Can you eat a freshly laid fertilized egg?  I'd somehow feel weird doing it.

Yes you can eat fertilized eggs. They are no different than a reg egg.

Prices on grown birds will vary by breeder.

I wasn't trying to start a debate, just looking for info! I bought them because I think they are pretty, and then got curious about how the were "created." I noticed that many of the eggs I hatched out were more of a greenish/olive color than blue. I'm assuming that is because they are likely not "pure" Ameraucana but some sort of cross. Is this correct?

I wasn't trying to start a debate, just looking for info! I bought them because I think they are pretty, and then got curious about how the were "created." I noticed that many of the eggs I hatched out were more of a greenish/olive color than blue. I'm assuming that is because they are likely not "pure" Ameraucana but some sort of cross. Is this correct?
No, that is not correct at all. Many varieties still have egg color issues. Lavs and buffs especially. Sometimes people will use a hen with less than perfect egg color because she has great type.
I can't understand why you are so doubtful of your birds- do they have yellow legs? Do they have single combs? Do they have tufts? Did you get them from a hatchery? Are they ducks?

Hello,

Does anyone here have an adult Ameraucana female for sale in East TN?

My older female just passed and my poor old rooster is driving me crazy. He has to be in the bedroom with me in a crate while I find him a new wife because he won't quit crowing and howling since his lady died. Quite frankly we are both climbing up the wall!

I am in Meigs County but willing to travel a spell for a new chicken wife for my boy.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom