Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

With the bloodlines listed no comment was needed.I have been working on mine 5+years and still don't have all those lines.Talk about lucking out on the first try.
I feel extremely lucky to have gotten the birds that I got from Cindy, on the first and second try. They are all from great bloodlines and I appreciate all of the hard work that went into them. I think anyone would jump on that offer. But being from great bloodlines doesn't always make great chicks. Everyone has culls, especially with Lavenders. All she was asking for was a little feedback. Saying that no comment was needed because of their bloodlines, is crazy. You know better than most that just putting two good birds together doesn't always make good Lavs. If it did, they would all be show quality instead of 1 in 20.

Seems like the right thing to do would be to give her some feedback in the spirit of promoting the breed and not worry about where they came from or whether there was luck involved.

This is a roo from my Paul Smith chick order this spring. Any comments needed?

Quote: Yea, he isn't in a show stance either, and the lighting makes it difficult to evaluate his color, so.......no comment.

I feel extremely lucky to have gotten the birds that I got from Cindy, on the first and second try. They are all from great bloodlines and I appreciate all of the hard work that went into them. I think anyone would jump on that offer. But being from great bloodlines doesn't always make great chicks. Everyone has culls, especially with Lavenders. All she was asking for was a little feedback. Saying that no comment was needed because of their bloodlines, is crazy. You know better than most that just putting two good birds together doesn't always make good Lavs. If it did, they would all be show quality instead of 1 in 20. Seems like the right thing to do would be to give her some feedback in the spirit of promoting the breed and not worry about where they came from or whether there was luck involved. This is a roo from my Paul Smith chick order this spring. Any comments needed?
Look about like mine I got from him :) Lovely in my biased opinion, LOL! I have never seen the grey eyes like the original poster's birds. Wow! Cool looking! Is that an option for the SOP or a project type thing? I don't know much either but though their eyes were supposed to be reddish orange?

Last edited:
I have a bunch of smith birds growing out too....have not looked at them. I have learned that they can change SO MUCH SO QUICK I hold off on judging them till they are laying at least. I have Marans too and I have a roo that was looking really really nice. getting a little attached and partial to him....then one day his tail seemed too high. his brother's all just look gangily now they are filling out nice too so it is a wait and see......so I wait.

really it is difficult to evaluate younger birds. you can cull for obvious but that is all I would do. was it the ams thread they were talking about not culling young roos for wry tail....something about muscle development was not finished till they were older. I would have culled young roos for that....may have to rethink that now.

take good pics if you want feed back. take them like you would of your kids. don't take pics in direct sun.... diffused light but well lit. all angles and from the level of the chicken. don't stand over a chicken on the growing to get a profile shot. get on their level or move them to your level.

Last edited:
This is the best side view I have. He is 6 months old.

No major problems. Pretty young still. Eye color changes with age and should be consistent among the varieties. I would like to see more even color. How is his size?

I have a bunch of smith birds growing out too....have not looked at them. I have learned that they can change SO MUCH SO QUICK I hold off on judging them till they are laying at least. I have Marans too and I have a roo that was looking really really nice. getting a little attached and partial to him....then one day his tail seemed too high. his brother's all just look gangily now they are filling out nice too so it is a wait and see......so I wait.

really it is difficult to evaluate younger birds. you can cull for obvious but that is all I would do. was it the ams thread they were talking about not culling young roos for wry tail....something about muscle development was not finished till they were older. I would have culled young roos for that....may have to rethink that now.

take good pics if you want feed back. take them like you would of your kids. don't take pics in direct sun.... diffused light but well lit. all angles and from the level of the chicken. don't stand over a chicken on the growing to get a profile shot. get on their level or move them to your level.

Thanks Donna. These are cell pics. I will get out the camera and take pics tomorrow.
smile.png
He s the only one I have left from that order.

No major problems. Pretty young still. Eye color changes with age and should be consistent among the varieties. I would like to see more even color. How is his size?

Thanks.
I thought his eye color was good. I'll check tomorrow.

For 25 weeks, he doesn't seem filled out enough to me.
I haven't weighed him. I need some scales.

No major problems.  Pretty young still.  Eye color changes with age and should be consistent among the varieties.  I would like to see more even color.   How is his size?

Thanks.
I thought his eye color was good. I'll check tomorrow.

For 25 weeks, he doesn't seem filled out enough to me.
I haven't weighed him. I need some scales.

he does seem small for 25 weeks. why is he the only one you had left? maybe something stunted his growth?

Back
Top Bottom