Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I'm glad I found this forum I am Buying some lavender chicks from John Blehm this spring and am looking forward to adding the color to my flock, I was wondering if anyone else here has ordered chicks from him Thanks
I haven't ordered from him but you will do very well with his stock. He is one of the countries most respected breeders and has a great reputation to boot. My only interactions with him are in his role at the ABC and I found that he is very professional and extremely responsive. Good luck with the Lavs. I got my first birds last year and am now incubating some splits from the birds I kept. Next up will be a batch of pure lavs. They are beautiful birds.

I haven't ordered from him but you will do very well with his stock. He is one of the countries most respected breeders and has a great reputation to boot. My only interactions with him are in his role at the ABC and I found that he is very professional and extremely responsive. Good luck with the Lavs. I got my first birds last year and am now incubating some splits from the birds I kept. Next up will be a batch of pure lavs. They are beautiful birds.
That's awesome news to me... He only lives about 30 minutes from me and can't wait to get my lil Lavender babies
wee.gif

John..... It happens all the time with blacks/blues. I see on the Marans thread all the time. IF you don't know what to look for you can mistake a DARK DARK Blue for a black.

Let me show you some bird I

What color are these guys?

I think my request for a critique on our Lav Am roosters got lost on page 127 post #1269. I'd really like to know what you all think of these two as possible breeders or if they shouldn't be bred so I can start planning either way. Thanks for your help in advance!

I have to second this. My only dealings with him have been through the ABC and I found him extremely quick to respond and just a nice person to deal with. I've read some of his thoughts on the ABC forum and I really liked the way he thought about tackling a breeding problem that was being discussed. If I wanted Bantam Ameraucanas, I would be going to him.

John..... It happens all the time with blacks/blues. I see on the Marans thread all the time. IF you don't know what to look for you can mistake a DARK DARK Blue for a black. Let me show you some bird I What color are these guys?
On my phone right now so its really hard to see. They look blue from here but i will look again when i get home. I just hatched some splits from one pen and some blue x blacks from another. They all look black... Now im worried. I was planning on using any keepers with my lavs... My next hatch will be all splits so i am 100% safe there.

On my phone right now so its really hard to see. They look blue from here but i will look again when i get home. I just hatched some splits from one pen and some blue x blacks from another. They all look black... Now im worried. I was planning on using any keepers with my lavs... My next hatch will be all splits so i am 100% safe there.

As chicks they look the same around 3-4 weeks you will be seeing the color diffrence in the feathers

Hi All,
Really enjoying this thread. I am trying to learn about chicken genetics in general and especially the wonderful Ameraucanas. Don't know what I am doing yet but having a really good and
enjoyable time with my chickens! :) Love the surprise of seeing what different matings and crosses will produce.

Can anyone tell me what are some good books to start learning about chicken genetics, breeding percentages and such?

Thanks for your time and response.

An Introduction to Color Forms of the Domestic Fowl: A Look at Color Varieties and How They Are Made
By brian reeder 30 bucks online

An Introduction to Form and Feathering of the Domestic Fowl
Brian Reeder

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom