Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Quote:
I may not be clear here but first if you cross a lavender with a white I would consider those EE. White hides a lot so I would not use those birds for breeding. If you want an APA approved color for you kids AND lavenders you should get Black Ams. They will improve the type in your Lavs and your kids can show them. You don't want to breed blue birds into your lavenders.... just muddies the waters. To me pure Ameraucans come from breeding them correctly and Lav x White is not good breeding practices.... NORMALLY.

I may not be clear here but first if you cross a lavender with a white I would consider those EE.  White hides a lot so I would not use those birds for breeding.  If you want an APA approved color for you kids AND lavenders you should get Black Ams.  They will improve the type in your Lavs and your kids can show them.  You don't want to breed blue birds into your lavenders.... just muddies the waters.    To me pure Ameraucans come from breeding them correctly and Lav x White is not good breeding practices.... NORMALLY.

That's what I was thinking too. I thought they would be EE and needed to be sure. Out of the 5 lav that I set, only one hatched. So sad and I was down for a bit. So I have my one lil lav, that I'm going to cal Val. Lol. I'm still on the hunt for another blood line to possibly pair up with my Val. I will get a blk if need be. Still no rush tho since she/he is only a few days old. Plenty of time for me to get educated. Thank you and thank goodness for this thread!

Sorry, I missed the point about white. I thought you were asking about the difference between blue and lavender. As for showing for your kids, I will tell you what I think, but I am not positive.. For showmanship, I don't believe the bird has to be a recognized breed. For APA showing, I am pretty sure it does not have to be an approved color to win best of breed, but it can not go past that. I am pretty sure that a lavender can win BV, and BB, but only an approved color can compete for best of show. I hope someone with 4H rules and with showing experience can clarify....stan

YAY! Looks like I might have a broody banty! I would love to have about 4 eggs to set under her. Can anybody help me with that? I don't think I'll be able to find any on short notice on my own. I'm in south Louisiana.

I just got some lavs from P. Smith. I'm am in love with the coloring. Looks like I have two pullets so I'll breed back to black for some Roos and hopefully get my own line going. I've read through the thread and can't wait to use the knowledge I've gotten from you all. Thanks for sharing and teaching!!

Here is LeLu at 5 weeks:

So pretty! Love your run there!

MB

Good Morning All...

Do these Lavender Ameraucana feather out very slowly? These 4 chicks I have are 2 weeks old, and one of them barely has any feathers, and still has his little fuzzy down new hatch look all over. The other 3 chicks are farther along, but some of the feather shoots they have are long with barely any feathers on them. What is up with that. They look so scraggly and funny. I will get some pictures up, but just wanted some input.

Thank you,
MB

So pretty!  Love your run there!

MB

Thanks!!! My husband built me a crazy big coop for my Ameraucanas. We over did the run (in size) but of course they love it.

I need to get some better pics especially now that it's finished but I've been so happy with it.

Last edited:
Close to the same color, but a different gene. Lavender breeds true. If you breed a lav to a lav, you get lav, or lav to black, you get split to lav, they all carry the lav gene. With blue to blue, you get blue, black and double blue (splash) chicks. If you breed blue to black, you get 25% blue, the rest black. Blue is never split, but more dominate colors like dom white can cover it up. Blue is a modifier gene that minimizes black, not a color on it's own. :...stan
Blue to black produces half blue half black. One copy of the blue gene produces the blue color (as long as other genes don't hide it or further modify it). A blue parent has a blue gene and a black gene. When their cells divide into sex cells (either egg cells or sperm cells) their pairs of chromosomes mix up and split into sex cells with only one chromosome rather than the pairs in all other cells. These sex cells (egg cells and sperm cells) combine to form embryonic cells with the normal pairs of chromosomes.

So your blue parent's genotype (what they are genetically) is Bb. B for blue and b for black. Capital B indicates blue is dominant over b, black. When a blue parent's chromosomes divide into sex cells, one sex cell gets a B and another gets a b. The genotype for the black is bb. So, when that parent's chromosomes split into sex cells, all cells carry only the black gene. When you combine the two parents, one parent contributes half blue and half black. The other parent contributes only black. So, half the offspring will be Bb (blue) and half will be bb (black).

If you understand that the pair of chromosomes split apart, one chromosome going to one sex cell and another chromosome going to another, you can easily understand how the ratios for the expression of something like color are calculated.

I think even this fairly simple concept is a difficult one to understand if you never took any genetics in school and I've probably made a proper mess of trying to explain it.

Blue to black produces half blue half black. One copy of the blue gene produces the blue color (as long as other genes don't hide it or further modify it). A blue parent has a blue gene and a black gene. When their cells divide into sex cells (either egg cells or sperm cells) their pairs of chromosomes mix up and split into sex cells with only one chromosome rather than the pairs in all other cells. These sex cells (egg cells and sperm cells) combine to form embryonic cells with the normal pairs of chromosomes.

So your blue parent's genotype (what they are genetically) is Bb. B for blue and b for black. Capital B indicates blue is dominant over b, black. When a blue parent's chromosomes divide into sex cells, one sex cell gets a B and another gets a b. The genotype for the black is bb. So, when that parent's chromosomes split into sex cells, all cells carry only the black gene. When you combine the two parents, one parent contributes half blue and half black. The other parent contributes only black. So, half the offspring will be Bb (blue) and half will be bb (black).

If you understand that the pair of chromosomes split apart, one chromosome going to one sex cell and another chromosome going to another, you can easily understand how the ratios for the expression of something like color are calculated.

I think even this fairly simple concept is a difficult one to understand if you never took any genetics in school and I've probably made a proper mess of trying to explain it.
Thanks for the correction, glad you caught that goof!.....If I could draw a punnett square it would sure be simpler....stan

Back
Top Bottom