Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Great to see this thread! I am a BRAND new breeder but sucking up all the knowledge I can. I am a member of the ABC as well. I have nothing against the ABC forum, I simply find this one easier to navigate and communicate on.

I have my first 5 Lavender Ameraucanas. They are 6 weeks old today.

I'm wondering if fertility issues are common with lavenders. I started with 30 eggs, not shipped, so that can't be an excuse. They were fresh and handled properly. The breeder told me she was having fertility issues with one of her cocks so she added a second and believed she had solved things. However, out of those 30 eggs, less than half even made it to lockdown. 7 hatched - 2 with help. I had to cull two chicks with crossbeak. So I'm left with 5. Thankfully, I have a very nice black cockerel from Jean Ribbeck (and I have black hens) so I will immediately cross out with those but I'm wondering if fertility/hatchability is an issue with lavenders. I also have lavender Silkies. Had to cull one of those with crossbeak as well.
Both cross beaks and fertility issues are more than often caused by inbreeding. I would look to add some new blood to the flock.

Fertility issues on lavender are often due to too much fluff . Trim feathers around the vent of both sexes . Cross beaks were a problem early in the development of lavender . I rarely see it now .

Quote:
Interesting that you dug up this old post.Has to be a least a couple of years old now. I now have lavender Ameraucanas from another, more prominent breeder, and a new line of black Ameraucanas as well. Never did get anything to hatch from the first batch of lavender Amercaucanas (2 females) although one of them is still running around with my layers. I'm still plugging along with both my Ameraucanas and my Silkies. Still get the occasional crooked beak out of the Ameraucanas of all colours but for the most part, I am full steam ahead.
smile.png

I'm an Ameracauna lover but I don't breed them for show. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what color my hen is. I know she's not lavender, but I don't think she's blue either. Her neck feathers have silvery/white lacing on them, but the rest of her body is the same color as her head, with faint wheaten speckles. This picture is not very good, but if someone could help I'd love it. :)

I'm an Ameracauna lover but I don't breed them for show. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what color my hen is. I know she's not lavender, but I don't think she's blue either. Her neck feathers have silvery/white lacing on them, but the rest of her body is the same color as her head, with faint wheaten speckles. This picture is not very good, but if someone could help I'd love it. :)

Likely mixed colors . Nice bird just not correct color for blue .

Back
Top Bottom