Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

My lavenders are 10 weeks old. It has become clear which are cockerels and which are pullets, except for one bird, which I think might be a cockerel. This bird is very under-sized, very round in shape, and although the comb is not pink, I think it is a cockerel.

I plan to get rid of the cockerels quite soon, and I'd hate to accidentally give away a pullet. I took a photo of the bird in question, along with a typical pullet and cockerel.
Pullet:

Cockerel:

??:

Sorry I could not get a full body shot. The bird is shy. I appreciate any feedback.

My lavenders are 10 weeks old. It has become clear which are cockerels and which are pullets, except for one bird, which I think might be a cockerel. This bird is very under-sized, very round in shape, and although the comb is not pink, I think it is a cockerel.

I plan to get rid of the cockerels quite soon, and I'd hate to accidentally give away a pullet. I took a photo of the bird in question, along with a typical pullet and cockerel.
Pullet:

Cockerel:

??:

Sorry I could not get a full body shot. The bird is shy. I appreciate any feedback.

Your birds are beautiful!

Thanks. My adult rooster has a lot of gold leakage, so I imagine these offspring will have the same. Right now, I am happy to have a couple pullets as this was my most cockerel-heavy hatch ever!

Pullet:

Cockerel:

??:

My guess is pullet. At 10 weeks, I was pretty sure of the sex of my birds. ended up with 2 cockerels and 2 pullets. The pullets had pinkish combs at 9 weeks old. Still do, but now at 12 weeks the cockerels are very red.

Thanks for your reply! I am torn about what to do. I just found out I will be getting rid of some birds tomorrow. If I keep this small bird in hopes it is a pullet and it turns out to be a cockerel, I don't think it will hold its own in the bachelor pen. The slow growth and just a gut feeling makes me think it is a cockerel. I'm going to examine it closely tomorrow. I did have a cockerel last year that I thought was a pullet for a very long time.

Hi I have just started with lavender and wheaten ameraucaunas. I have 15 wheatens and 2 lavenders I bought from Paul Smith from his June 9th hatch. I have 42 I bought from four different breeders. I hatched 10 from eggs I bought from Bowling Green Ky. I bought 12 from a lady here in S.C. I have 20 I bought from two different ladies in N.C. They all were all about a week old when I bought them. The reason I only got 2 from Paul he was sold out for the season, but I got him to sell me 2 along with the wheatens hoping I would get a rooster to go with the hens I keep from the others. These lavenders are now 9 to 10 weeks old except Paul's. I am now ready to start giving some roosters away. I have spent a lot of time looking at pictures on this thread. I think I got some of the roosters identified but there is still some I am not sure of. I didn't know breeding ameraucanas was so hard until I read some of these post, and post on the ABC. I see I have a lot to learn. There is terms used I don't even know what they mean. I saw a post on here that said it wasn't good to get birds from several different breeders. I have them now so I need to learn what to look for to keep the best ones and go from here. is there a book or books I can buy to help me? I need all the advice I can get. THANK YOU Steve Todd from S.C.

Back
Top Bottom