Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Are blue rings normal?

Question about culling? I know you said you cull allot but how much is your average? 30%, 60%, 90%?

Also when breeding Cross splits to Cross Splits will I eventually end up with a pure Black Ameraucana that I can breed back to my Lavenders? Will it be better to get a black that has never been crossed with a Lavender to bred back to my lavenders?

Do you include Pauls line every 3-4 breds to prevent inbreeding degeneration? How else do you get around this if not?

Thanks,

Ryan
Crescent City CA

What do you look for in shell color? I have some Lavenders from Paul Smith. I noticed that 2 birds give blue eggs and one gives a green color egg. I'm sure there is some meaning to this. I have a bunch of the green eggs ready to hatch tomorrow. They should come out as Lavenders since the roo and hen are Lavender correct? Does the egg color have anything to do with that?

Yes, lavender over lavender will produce lavender chicks. Generally egg color comes mostly from the cock bird you use. Sometimes mother nature will through you for a loop though. When moving forward you want to make sure that your offspring produce the same or better egg color. Or, use a cock bird that was hatched from a bluer egg than what you currently have.

Yes, lavender over lavender will produce lavender chicks.  Generally egg color comes mostly from the cock bird you use.  Sometimes mother nature will through you for a loop though.  When moving forward you want to make sure that your offspring produce the same or better egg color.  Or, use a cock bird that was hatched from a bluer egg than what you currently have.

I know that the rooster I have is beautiful with no leakage. Not sure the egg color that he came from. My goal is to sell them all but eventually I will like to have only Lavs in my main coop.
I was wondering why are they not recognized as a breed yet? They are asked about by alot of people. Is there anything I can do to help get them classified as a breed?

I know that the rooster I have is beautiful with no leakage. Not sure the egg color that he came from. My goal is to sell them all but eventually I will like to have only Lavs in my main coop.
I was wondering why are they not recognized as a breed yet? They are asked about by alot of people. Is there anything I can do to help get them classified as a breed?

We are currently working on getting them recognized by the APA. Our petition to start the process has been accepted. They would be classified as a new variety of ameraucana, not a new breed.

The Ameraucana Breeders Club previously considered getting them accepted, but the current verbage in the APA for this color is self blue. At that time the Club did not want to use that term, but we have come to the conclusion that the only time we have to call them self blue is when entering them in an APA sanctioned show. We can call them whatever we want outside of that arena.

If you got your birds from Paul, they should have toe punches and different toe punches mean different breeding pens.

Last edited:
So if you bred a grandparent with grandchild in the chicken world there is no inbreeding or just less? This would still seem a problem in the human world are chickens different in genetics? Has Harry Shaffer or Paul ever used yours to cross in their line?

Thanks

Ryan C

Sorry another question. When you ship chicks do they all come from same parents or different pens?

Thank you for your time I really appreciate it.

R Charmbury

Super excited!My lavenders are starting to hatch. I'm going to wake up to a nice site.

Back
Top Bottom