Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

That should be good, maybe the fan is too strong.  Maybe put a sponge in there next time.  Did you open the lid very much????

I open the lid allot. Probably more then I should :-( If you have 4 baby chicks kicking around the other eggs trying to hatch is that a bad thing? I get nervous and take out the chicks about 2-4 at a time

I open the lid allot. Probably more then I should :-( If you have 4 baby chicks kicking around the other eggs trying to hatch is that a bad thing? I get nervous and take out the chicks about 2-4 at a time

You don't want to open the lid! Depending on where you live, you want to keep the humidity around 40-50% until they pip. Then you up it as much as you can.

You have to have the lavender gene present to make lavender. Generally you breed a bird that is lavender to a black bird and the resulting offspring will all carry the lavender gene, but will not express it. You can either breed back to the parent or amongst themselves and some of the offspring will be lavender. You can then breed lavender to lavender and get lavender chicks.

White works the same way.

You don't want to open the lid!  Depending on where you live, you want to keep the humidity around 40-50% until they pip.  Then you up it as much as you can.

You have to have the lavender gene present to make lavender.  Generally you breed a bird that is lavender to a black bird and the resulting offspring will all carry the lavender gene, but will not express it.  You can either breed back to the parent or amongst themselves and some of the offspring will be lavender.  You can then breed lavender to lavender and get lavender chicks.

White works the same way.

You have a gift of explaining things in a manner that is easy to comprehend. I get it now.

So what is a split,blue and/or a silver Amerucana.Also I see allot of abreviations out there like LF,BF and BFF lol Do you know what all those mean?

Do you work on a farm or for a hatchery or something? You should be a science teacher or biology teacher or something. It amazes me the knowledge that you and John have of chickens. I guess for you is a full time job?

Do you use the dry hatch method 30% humidity?

I have a hovabator. There are no fans. You have to put water on a tray and then regulate a thermostat. I live in S.Florida where is humid like crazy. I can usual keep the lid open for about 5 seconds and only drop about 2% in humidity. I get nervous of the hatched chick banging around the eggs.i also just spayed down the incubator with lysol. Maybe there was a bad bacteria that hurt the chicks?

Last edited:
My lavenders throw whites. They came direct from Harry Shaffer and he didn't have an answer as to how that happened. I know it was coming from his birds they were the main birds I kept. I know have 2 pair of whites to work with and see what I get. I sold my cock with FULL disclosure about the recessive white. I am curious as to what will express the white or the lavender if I get chicks with BOTH sets of genes.

My lavenders throw whites.  They came direct from Harry Shaffer and he didn't have an answer as to how that happened.  I know it was coming from his birds they were the main birds I kept.  I know have 2 pair of whites to work with and see what I get.  I sold my cock with FULL disclosure about the recessive white.  I am curious as to what will express the white or the lavender if I get chicks with BOTH sets of genes. 

I'm sorry to hear that. You mean you had 2 Lavenders that mated and have white chicks? I thought 2 Lavs=Lavenders. I guess one wasn't a true lav?

For the price you paid I sure hope they are Ameraucanas.
smile.png

Since Barretg has already stated that he got the birds from Paul, I find that comment unnecessary. John, you know that Paul isn't here, or he would tell you that he doesn't sell anything that isn't a pure Ameraucana as an Ameraucana. After 20 years of reliable and honest breeding practices, he has one of the best reputations in the Ameraucana community...bar none.

You have a gift of explaining things in a manner that is easy to comprehend. I get it now.

So what is a split,blue and/or a silver Amerucana.Also I see allot of abreviations out there like LF,BF and BFF lol Do you know what all those mean?

Do you work on a farm or for a hatchery or something? You should be a science teacher or biology teacher or something. It amazes me the knowledge that you and John have of chickens. I guess for you is a full time job?

A split is a bird that is carrying a recessive gene and does not express it. It can be split to white, lavender or chocolate. A bird can also be split for a pattern gene like silver or wheaten. The pattern gene the birds carries ultimately makes them looks the way they do. Some people have crossed those varieties to other colors to create a new color. For instance silver generally has a base color of black with the pattern gene creating the color in the hackles, saddles and the wing bar on the male. People have crossed this variety to blue and to lavenders to create blue silver and lavender silver. So the first cross of offspring would be split for the silver pattern gene.

LF is large fowl. I don't know what the BF or BFF mean unless it means boyfriend or best friends forever.
lol.png
There are other abbreviations used and I do know most of them.

I have had ameraucanas since 2005 and am the current Western District Director of the Ameraucana Breeders Club and President the last two terms. http://ameraucana.org/

Back
Top Bottom