Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

That's the plan. This is my first house. I worked hard for this house. To have someone tell me I can't have what I want in my backyard is ********. I kept everything so clean. I think It was the roosters. I had to many. Lavender Amerucana roosters are just so awesome looking I had to keep them. The neighbors could of talked to me though instead of calling the city. Well the neighbor, the other neighbors have chickens too lol We all got letters on the door. Its ok though. I had 4 eggs that I threw in the incubator just today
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f4c4.png
maybe I get a hen and I can keep it hush hush. I need a Lavender Amerucana in my life

Congrats on your home. So sorry about the misfortune! :( I understand about the chicken connection. I don't know what I ever did without them!

these are some of my new lavender Ameraucanas, they are off Paul Smith/john Belhem stock.

this cockerel is off the same parent stock.

It looks like the cockerel may be getting leakage (the off colored area on his back). You'll want to keep an eye on that. The goal is to have a uniform lavender color throughout the length of the bird. The lavender color is still termed a project color, and leakage still happens from time to time. Hens can carry it but not (visually) express it, which further complicates the matter. Anyway, if that is leakage, you would not want to breed from him, because he would pass it on to his offspring. When I started with lavenders a few years ago, I raised 15 males from one of the most well known breeders in the Ameraucana world, and all but two had leakage. Lavenders are still a work in progress. Feather quality issues is another problem that occurs frequently. It looks like that cockerel has good feather quality, so if those chicks are from the same source, they will hopefully have good feather quality too. :) The lavender color is truly beautiful, but it's not for the faint of heart. Sadly I have seen some of the pioneers of the color get out of it over the years because it can be a bit of a headache to work with. I for one love it!!!

It looks like the cockerel may be getting leakage (the off colored area on his back). You'll want to keep an eye on that. The goal is to have a uniform lavender color throughout the length of the bird. The lavender color is still termed a project color, and leakage still happens from time to time. Hens can carry it but not (visually) express it, which further complicates the matter. Anyway, if that is leakage, you would not want to breed from him, because he would pass it on to his offspring. When I started with lavenders a few years ago, I raised 15 males from one of the most well known breeders in the Ameraucana world, and all but two had leakage. Lavenders are still a work in progress. Feather quality issues is another problem that occurs frequently. It looks like that cockerel has good feather quality, so if those chicks are from the same source, they will hopefully have good feather quality too. :) The lavender color is truly beautiful, but it's not for the faint of heart. Sadly I have seen some of the pioneers of the color get out of it over the years because it can be a bit of a headache to work with. I for one love it!!!

I'll get some better better pictures of him for you, he don't have any leakage. he color is very uniform, that was just a shadow I guess. that was him in a quarantine pin when I first got him. I appreciate the help,it seems I'm constantly learning.

I'll get some better better pictures of him for you, he don't have any leakage. he color is very uniform, that was just a shadow I guess. that was him in a quarantine pin when I first got him. I appreciate the help,it seems I'm constantly learning.

Unfortunately, Lindsay is most likely correct... the lighter patch does look like silver leakage... and considering his lineage source, leakage is highly probable...

This cockbird is the grandsire to that cockerel... area circled in blue shows his silver leakage... he was culled immediately after that was realized...

Unfortunately, Lindsay is most likely correct... the lighter patch does look like silver leakage... and considering his lineage source, leakage is highly probable...

This cockbird is the grandsire to that cockerel... area circled in blue shows his silver leakage... he was culled immediately after that was realized...
do you have a pic of a true self blue with out any leakage? I would like to see one that is correct. that way I can see what I'm looking at, I'm not claiming to be a professional by anymeans. thats why I'm here.

do you have a pic of a true self blue with out any leakage? I would like to see one that is correct. that way I can see what I'm looking at, I'm not claiming to be a professional by anymeans. thats why I'm here.

I'm no expert either, lol... I learn every day and will continue to each day...

I merely spoke up considering that the source of that cockerel and your chicks was ultimately myself... my conscience and the value of my reputation for being open and honest means more to me than not admitting to an honest mistake...

I don't have current pics right now, but you can read through this thread and gain a lot from it... yes, that's a lot, but research is a must... also look into Self Blue OEGB's for good examples on the feather color...

Why is it that the males always seem to have the leakage? I got lucky, 11 chicks from Once In A Blue Moon...6 hens, 5 roos...only 2 are showing leakage. They are true beauties!!!

Why is it that the males always seem to have the leakage? I got lucky, 11 chicks from Once In A Blue Moon...6 hens, 5 roos...only 2 are showing leakage. They are true beauties!!!

Nice! She has great stock!

Males are the ones that SHOW leakage... pullets can carry it but unless it's a ton they won't show it...

If I remember correctly, it's due to being a recessive of black and black covers other color really well... or it could be from crossing gold base and silver based lines...

But this is just thinking out loud, lol... self blue/lavender is still a project for while longer... look into OEGB self blue lines... a lot of those show much cleaner color due to being bred a lot longer...

Anything worthwhile takes a lot of time to get right... :)

Back
Top Bottom