Lavender hen to black rooster

I would not get Splash, personally. That introduces a completely different plumage color gene that can complicate things. In your shoes, I would either look for a Lavender (also called Self Blue if that helps expand your search a bit) or just cross the Lavender hen to your Black rooster and cross back to Lavender to make more Lavenders.

I would not get Splash, personally. That introduces a completely different plumage color gene that can complicate things. In your shoes, I would either look for a Lavender (also called Self Blue if that helps expand your search a bit) or just cross the Lavender hen to your Black rooster and cross back to Lavender to make more Lavenders.
That helps immensely. I’m pretty sure there is a lady in my province who has self blue. Is that the same as lavender?

Yes, Self-Blue is the same as Lavender.

Self-Blue is an old term for the color that is still used in the standard for Lavender varieties of breeds. Lavender is my preferred term for it, personally, because not only is the gene called the lavender gene so it matches with the genetic terminology, but it's less of a confusing term in general, too, since there is also plain Blue in chickens, a color caused by a completely different gene. But, you'll find that a lot of Lavender birds are still advertised as Self-Blue, especially if they are accepted in one of the standards as Self-Blue, like Old English Games, d'Anvers, and Cochins.

Yes, Self-Blue is the same as Lavender.

Self-Blue is an old term for the color that is still used in the standard for Lavender varieties of breeds. Lavender is my preferred term for it, personally, because not only is the gene called the lavender gene so it matches with the genetic terminology, but it's less of a confusing term in general, too, since there is also plain Blue in chickens, a color caused by a completely different gene. But, you'll find that a lot of Lavender birds are still advertised as Self-Blue, especially if they are accepted in one of the standards as Self-Blue, like Old English Games, d'Anvers, and Cochins.
Wow I had no idea. There so much to learn about colouring. Thanks. That was extremely helpful.

Yeah, looks like a very leaky black mottled like what you might see out of Mille Fleur projects, I agree. Crossing him to a Lavender hen would most likely just produce black chicks with color leakage, all carrying mottling and lavender as both genes are recessive.
Curious cause another lady has Mille de fleur Cochin. Do those breed true if I had a rooster and hens?

Back
Top Bottom