Lavender hen to black rooster

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
If I breed a bantam lavender Cochin hen to a black bantam Cochin rooster any chance I will get any lavender offspring? I can’t find a lavender roo. Also if I do get a lavender offspring can I breed them back to increase my chances of lavender?

Attachments

• IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 81
You'll get all black babies.
Lavender is funny, you'll almost always get black chicks with Lavender x, Except for splash or lavender.
Atleast, how i understand it. I'm sure someone with better understanding on color genetics will give you better information.

You'll get all black babies.
Lavender is funny, you'll almost always get black chicks with Lavender x, Except for splash or lavender.
Atleast, how i understand it. I'm sure someone with better understanding on color genetics will give you better information.
Thanks. There is someone with a speckled rooster. Would that give me lavender do you think?

Lavender is genetically a solid black bird with two copies of the lavender gene. The lavender gene is recessive, so a bird must inherit two copies, one from the father and one from the mother, to express it. If inherited from only one parent, they will carry the gene and can pass it on to their own offspring, but will not express it because of it being recessive.

That means that, assuming your Black rooster is unrelated to any Lavenders and thus does not, himself, carry the gene, crossing him to a Lavender hen will just make Black offspring, all of which will carry a lavender gene from their Lavender mother. If you take one of their male offspring and cross him back to the Lavender hen, then about half of the resulting chicks from that cross will be Lavender.

Speckled can mean a lot of things, so I'd agree that we would need more details to know what the results would be in that cross. Most likely you would not get Lavender from a first generation cross in this case, either.

Yeah, looks like a very leaky black mottled like what you might see out of Mille Fleur projects, I agree. Crossing him to a Lavender hen would most likely just produce black chicks with color leakage, all carrying mottling and lavender as both genes are recessive.

Lavender is genetically a solid black bird with two copies of the lavender gene. The lavender gene is recessive, so a bird must inherit two copies, one from the father and one from the mother, to express it. If inherited from only one parent, they will carry the gene and can pass it on to their own offspring, but will not express it because of it being recessive.

That means that, assuming your Black rooster is unrelated to any Lavenders and thus does not, himself, carry the gene, crossing him to a Lavender hen will just make Black offspring, all of which will carry a lavender gene from their Lavender mother. If you take one of their male offspring and cross him back to the Lavender hen, then about half of the resulting chicks from that cross will be Lavender.

Speckled can mean a lot of things, so I'd agree that we would need more details to know what the results would be in that cross. Most likely you would not get Lavender from a first generation cross in this case, either.
That is really helpful thanks.
That bird isn't mottled. Looks like someone tried making Mille fluer
Ok. Looks like I better keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom