Lavender Orpington Chick

Harley Chick

Songster
6 Years
Apr 4, 2018
Unionville TN
I have a lavender orpington chick that is approximately 2 weeks old and has not grown tail feathers like the other babies. This chick is kinda a loner and I wondered what other have experienced for sex of chick?

no bullying that I can see, I'll post a picture of "pearl" tonight with the brooder. I actually have two chicks that have no tail feathers coming in yet. Same age as a few of the others so I'm perplexed.

Ok, Pearl is now 3.5 weeks old, she's still a bit of a loner but I think she is a pullet. Thoughts?

Off topic but are lavender orpingtons slow to feather out? She is way behind the others that are same age?

Attachments

• Pearl 1.jpg
    Pearl 1.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Pearl.jpg
    Pearl.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 65
Yeah orps feather out slower i have 13 in a brooder that's 6 to 8 weeks old can't remember. They're just starting to grow tail feathers good and combs are staying yellow or turning pinkish to redish. This is the first lavender orps I've had so no real experience in older birds but I have read several threads and posts about the pullets showing more shredded feathers than males do.

I went back and pulled up my pics of when mine hatched they are 4 weeks old today. Mine look nothing like that my birds are almost fully feathered with tail feathers about 2 inches long. Are you sure that chicks 3.5 weeks old if it is it may have some issues. I also take the heat lamp from my birds sooner to make them feather faster they've been without a heat lamp for over a week but I do live in a warm climate they're in a shed that gets near 90 during the day that may be the difference also.

Back
Top Bottom