Lavender Orpington? Or is it?

mariacp

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 24, 2014
Last spring we purchased a group of chicks from a local hobby breeder.

A little background on the breeder, he breeds pureblood rare and heritage breeds. We have been to his place many times and he has a very good set up and is very knowledgeable about the breeds he has.

We purchased two Blue Americana's, a Splash Americana, a Blue Copper Maran, a Lavender Orpington, and a Gold Laced Orpington Rooster. Everyone has grown up beautifully and the first of them are starting to lay.

We expected to get blue eggs, an easter egg from the splash, a brown, and a dark chocolate. The first egg to be laid was a green egg, a little darker than what would be expected from an EE, but not dark enough to be considered an OE. This made us very curious, so we sat and waited one morning for the egg to be laid to catch the girl red handed. To our surprise it was our Lavender Orpington? As far as I have read, all Orpingtons lay a light to medium brown egg.

So what in the world is this girl? She appears to be a Lavender, her combs, color, build, and feathers are all right. Does anyone of any ideas?

Sorry just took the pictures tonight.

She certainly looks like a Lavender Orpington to me. Are you sure you saw her lay the egg, and the greenish egg wasn't already in the nest box? If she was the one that laid the greenish egg, then she isn't a purebred Orpington, despite what she looks like.

Last edited:
She looks like a Lavender Orpington to me. If she doesn't lay a correctly colored egg, then she may just be a mix that looks like a Lavender Orpington.

The breeder may have developed his own version of a lavender orpington. In other words, he kept on mixing different breeds to create a lavender orpington looking bird. It is probably a mix but it definitely is not a lavender Orp.

Last edited:
She is very pretty, and because she lays so well and is such a nice bird, we are keeping her. Even though she isn't pure. I am hatching out some of her eggs that are fathered by a Blue Ameracauna, going to see what color egg layers they will be.

Back
Top Bottom