Lavender Orpington project ....

ha ha adding silver you mean adding in the LAVENDER BECAUSE HE IS NOT LAVENDER. Based on your posts on your profile your an novice chicken breeder so call me when you graduate with a genetic degree. Last time I'm saying this "self blue". Have a great life!

You can add 2 copies of Lavender to anything. Yes, it is technically a lavender if it has 2 copies, but, if you happen to have autosomal red in the mix, or gold base, you will get the leakage, it's a Lavender with leakage. I concentrate on type over color, color is easy. TYPE makes the breed.

By breeding to a silver based Lavender, or Black split with silver, it's quite simple to only use the chicks that hatch out grey and grey with white bellies. Any yellow down and there's gold or autosomal red in there, no bueno.

The Black splits I used for that batch had autosomal red, but instead of losing a year of breeding over a minor flaw, I chose to progress with the better "type". Color will be cleaned up this fall, or next spring, no big deal.

You can call that bird Lavender all you want, it's Blue. I mean no disrespect saying that, and never did, it has excellent lacing and looks to be growing nicely.

Here is a better picture of my lavender lace next to there brother who never developed the pattern. All these birds where bred from foreign imports in the UK and Germany,except Korfis bloodline to add a better body type. A total of 9 different bloodlines where used.These hens developed the lavender around the rings and the normal color through out the rest of the feather.

Last edited:
Compare the color to my 100% American Lavender Orpington Rooster to the left if you don't think there Lavender believe me they are. Ignore Chixmix commenting on any of my posts.

Last edited:
I have. Your birds are gorgeous.
smile.png
Thank you :)
I'm completely dedicated to Lavender Orpingtons, and no inbreeding is ever used. Do you own any? They are amazing birds with a very gently temperament including the roosters.

Thank you :)
I'm completely dedicated to Lavender Orpingtons, and no inbreeding is ever used. Do you own any? They are amazing birds with a very gently temperament including the roosters.
No, not yet. But they're on my list of breeds to get eventually. I subscribed bc I like to look at all the eye candy and to have sources for in the future. Yours are stunning. :)

Next month I'll start to sell the eggs from the American rooster on my profile picture if your interested. I haven't shipped eggs before, but for being the first person I would pay for shipping. Plus I'll add 5 extra to the order for a good hatching if you would like to incubate that is.

Next month I'll start to sell the eggs from the American rooster on my profile picture if your interested. I haven't shipped eggs before, but for being the first person I would pay for shipping. Plus I'll add 5 extra to the order for a good hatching if you would like to incubate that is.
Thanks! But I don't have an incubator yet. I'm hoping to use broodies because it would just drive me nuts thinking I'll mess it up. I imagine I'll eventually get one though. Lol
We're new chicken owners and my girls are only 5-8 weeks old. I've added you to my follow list, though, so maybe I can get some for one of my hens later :)

I suggest anyone who likes Orpingtons to join facebook pages dedicated to them, you all will learn a lot really fast. There are top notch breeders from Britain on them that give fantastic insight on genetics and are very helpful. The thing is, they will be honest, so if you just want people to tell you how gorgeous your birds are, they really better be gorgeous.

Nicole, I watched that video and you do have some very nice Lavender, the roo looks to be a Splash roo diluted with Lavender, which is why you are throwing Blues with lacing, because the roo is Splash, it's basically throwing some with way more melanizers than normally found in Lavender. The last link, Imported Orpington group of America, is run by Jeff Horn, he has been breeding Lavenders in with his English Blues for 5 years now, you and him could probably consult each other and help each other with insights.

Here are a few pages,

Orpington Info International (https://www.facebook.com/groups/orpingtoninfointernational/)

United orpington association (https://www.facebook.com/groups/unitedorpingtonassociation/)

Orpington Breeders Association (https://www.facebook.com/groups/OrpingtonBreedersWorldwide/)

Imported Orpington group of America (https://www.facebook.com/groups/592142200822495/)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom