Lavender Orpington project ....

I thought this one had attached to last post but it didn't

He kinda looks like an Andalusian you never know what you get at tractor supply, when I go in mine some of the signs next to the tubs are like pullets or bantams and I'm always sitting there like well what kind but it seems all feed stores just put bantams then you play the guessing game when you get them.

He kinda looks like an Andalusian you never know what you get at tractor supply, when I go in mine some of the signs next to the tubs are like pullets or bantams and I'm always sitting there like well what kind but it seems all feed stores just put bantams then you play the guessing game when you get them.

agreed, but he is a year old now so he must be a bantam that looks like one or just a runt or something. I don't know that's the down fall to buying chick's in TSP I guess

T
The "orange" ones are golden buffs which are a cross (1/2 RIR)
thank u I have desperately been try to find out what each of my sweet babies are and understanding the breeds. I have one she is sooooo tiny I mean tiny I have not ever weighed her but I know she can't be more than a pound and not much larger then my hand. And yes she is full grown she is a year old as well. I have yet to see another bird like her I've seen her color which is crele (spelling and I could have the name of color wrong period ) any how she is a brown kind of spekealed looking well I have a picture of her under my black her but u can only see her head. But that's how tiny she is she fits nicely under bet BFF these to stick together, where u see one ur going to see the other

Can someone help me out I have a lavender rooster that is 8 months now and I want to breed him to my lavender hen I got with him. I purchased him and the hen from the same women when they were 3 days old and I think he turned out great I need to take some better pictures but this is overall does he seem like a good breeding rooster

Do you know whether your roo and hen came from a Lav x Lav breeding or a Lav x Black/Lav split breeding? The general guideline is that you can breed Lav to Lav for no more than two generations in a row, or you get excessive feather fraying. Your cockerel looks nice IMO (I have two 9 month boys myself). If your hen has no evidence of fraying, then you could probably breed them. I started by breeding all of mine black to Black/Lav splits this year because two of my hens show a little fraying, mostly in the back half. I suspect my breeder bred Lav to Lav one too many times. The lavender gene is close to a gene that causes feather fraying, and breeding to Black or Black/Lav split every other or every third generation helps prevent this. If you could post a photo of your hen, that would help, too.

New Dickey's incubator is loaded, and my shippping boxes and NPIP certification finally arrived! Have chicks and young birds available. Many more hatching on the 30th March, and the 18th of April. PM me for details / reservations /prices. All have had their Marek's vaccine. Youngest I am comfortable with sending is two weeks old. I am in California 95638 if you want to look up shipping prices to your zip code. They must go Express.

Do you know whether your roo and hen came from a Lav x Lav breeding or a Lav x Black/Lav split breeding? The general guideline is that you can breed Lav to Lav for no more than two generations in a row, or you get excessive feather fraying. Your cockerel looks nice IMO (I have two 9 month boys myself). If your hen has no evidence of fraying, then you could probably breed them. I started by breeding all of mine black to Black/Lav splits this year because two of my hens show a little fraying, mostly in the back half. I suspect my breeder bred Lav to Lav one too many times. The lavender gene is close to a gene that causes feather fraying, and breeding to Black or Black/Lav split every other or every third generation helps prevent this. If you could post a photo of your hen, that would help, too.

Can you explain what you mean by fraying?
I hatched 10 LO's a week ago. Got 9 lavender and 1 black. The lady I got my eggs from told me she also had a black roo in with the hens, so I wasn't shocked when the black one popped out... he was actually first to hatch. But I am trying to learn as much about their genetics as I can. Not for showing, just for my own information.

The feathers along the top line, and in the lower saddle especially, look all "frayed" but not from rooster activity...or split open.

Or the barbs on the vanes fail to stay interlocked properly
roll.png
(frizzy)

Can you explain what you mean by fraying?
I hatched 10 LO's a week ago. Got 9 lavender and 1 black. The lady I got my eggs from told me she also had a black roo in with the hens, so I wasn't shocked when the black one popped out... he was actually first to hatch. But I am trying to learn as much about their genetics as I can. Not for showing, just for my own information.

How old are these chicks? The first day or two, even after they are fairly dry, some look like this from residual albumen drying on their down. If it's heavy, I wipe them down with a paper towel and body temp warm water, then put them back under the brooder heater to dry. Otherwise, they'll groom it away in another couple of days. I've only seen photos of adults with frayed tails (looks like half or more of the tail is gone, and the rest not far behind, gaps, etc.). I just tried to find that photo online, but don't remember what I googled to get it. It's true in all lavender breeds of chicken. The photo was actually black and white, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom