Lavender Orpington project ....

How old are these chicks?  The first day or two, even after they are fairly dry, some look like this from residual albumen drying on their down.  If it's heavy, I wipe them down with a paper towel and body temp warm water, then put them back under the brooder heater to dry.  Otherwise, they'll groom it away in another couple of days.  I've only seen photos of adults with frayed tails (looks like half or more of the tail is gone, and the rest not far behind, gaps, etc.).  I just tried to find that photo online, but don't remember what I googled to get it.  It's true in all lavender breeds of chicken.  The photo was actually black and white, I believe.

Yes this photo is very shortly after I moved them to the brooder. 3 had been in there for close to a day, but this is right after i moved the next six.

ETA - The black one was the most "sticky" looking, but still not bad. I let them groom it all off themselves. They fluffed up fine. Nice to know it was normal for the breed though. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Here are some pics at day 10. I have decided to get colored zip-ties or some kind of bands today, and put a different color on each chick. (wish I had done it sooner) Then take progress pics every few days to see early indications of male/female traits.
Not sure why some of these look yellow in the pics. I think its the lighting in the room and the camera.

I recently got a flock lavenders that we're supposed to be kinjkc line beautiful birds. Don't thank lady lied biwas wondering if that line is white legs and beak normal. because I already had a couple lavenders but they had dark greyish legs. I'm new at these any info

Lavender Orpingtons should have dark legs but maybe someone crossed them with whites which have light legs. Dark legs are easy to get so if you still have one with dark legs no problem re-establishing the leg color. Have fun.

I don't know a whole lot about them my first flock. Colored very well l. When you say crossed with white what that mean? Like are they pure Orpingtons still? Lady said they they were from hinjks line but from pictures of all them are dark legs I do have dark legs also. But when I got these I got two roosters and a hen one rooster 2/3 years and other is about 7/8 months and hen is 7/8 months the have beautiful feathers dark. Now this there are supposed to be hinjks and like the young too and the hen is off spring of older roos. but the lady seemed very nice and she was certified and very nice lady see bo reaaon to lie very good price.she had no reason to lie I just trying to find out all information I could and l wanted to make sure that they are pure Orpington??? Were they white legs. ( I have two other hens thats a lot lighter in color but they have dark legs like most). If it makes difference there am breed.. any opinions and would be wonderful

you are correct you're no expert no one is on this projectso why argue about what not make sense why cant every body just put their knowledge together and get this project going...just grow up the administrators going to shut the site down because of these reasoning. so why don't the ones that arguing about it just put your heads together and try to make this project work instead of getting the site shut down grow up in your lil world... GOODBYE AND GOD BLESS

Back
Top Bottom