Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

I AM enabling....guess I need to go back to the 21 step program for help.........................

Quote:
This is how it was explained to me .... The color, "blue," in the animal world is a grey shade, such as a blue heeler dog (it is grey). Grey chickens are called, "blue." Lavender is also called, "self blue," as another term. The easiest way to tell the difference in blue and lavender is by looking at the feather shaft .... blue has a dark shaft, and lavender has a light or white shaft.

Now, I am not 100% on this information, but this is how I understand it.

Another thing is .... you can't, "make," lavender from a blue or other. It is a gene, and has to originate from a bird with the lavender gene.

Now Kathy as you know I love you (don't tell my wife) I really appreciate that you answered my question. And I have to tell you that pic of the chicks nearly sent me into a comma. OMG they are so beautiful. Not cute, beautiful!

I do have another question though. I've been reading, (yes I can read) about the laying productivity of show birds. That some of the productivity is lost in the developement. Does anyone keep a record of the productivity of these Orpingtons? Or the different colors of Orpingtons, comparing one to the other?

Now am I right in understanding that Lavender is not a recognized color? Is blue? I don't suspect anyone really cares. I sure as heck don't. Good garden o' peas, they are just so pretty and hypnotizing.

Funny how you take the same color put it on a woman and nothing, but put it on a chicken and everyone goes ga ga.
lau.gif
Maybe you ladies should just stick a Lavender orp on your head. Then you can say "not only does my hat attract the men, it lays eggs so I can cook him a nice spinach pie"..
lau.gif
I kill me!

Lavender Orp is still a project both color and type wise for Orpingtons. Some are getting close hopefully.
big_smile.png

Quote:
You're a nut! I thought the white coats took you to the hospital. How did you get out already?
gig.gif

Correct, lavender is not yet an accepted color. Blue is an accepted color.

You better hope I stay out so we can trade Del eggs for Lave orps. If your nice I only send you the eggs of the western ny girls and Nick (the western ny guy) . Not til next spring though. Unless I'm dead, then the deals off.

Quote:
This is how it was explained to me .... The color, "blue," in the animal world is a grey shade, such as a blue heeler dog (it is grey). Grey chickens are called, "blue." Lavender is also called, "self blue," as another term. The easiest way to tell the difference in blue and lavender is by looking at the feather shaft .... blue has a dark shaft, and lavender has a light or white shaft.

Now, I am not 100% on this information, but this is how I understand it.

Another thing is .... you can't, "make," lavender from a blue or other. It is a gene, and has to originate from a bird with the lavender gene.

Now Kathy as you know I love you (don't tell my wife) I really appreciate that you answered my question. And I have to tell you that pic of the chicks nearly sent me into a comma. OMG they are so beautiful. Not cute, beautiful!

I do have another question though. I've been reading, (yes I can read) about the laying productivity of show birds. That some of the productivity is lost in the developement. Does anyone keep a record of the productivity of these Orpingtons? Or the different colors of Orpingtons, comparing one to the other?

Now am I right in understanding that Lavender is not a recognized color? Is blue? I don't suspect anyone really cares. I sure as heck don't. Good garden o' peas, they are just so pretty and hypnotizing.

Funny how you take the same color put it on a woman and nothing, but put it on a chicken and everyone goes ga ga.
lau.gif
Maybe you ladies should just stick a Lavender orp on your head. Then you can say "not only does my hat attract the men, it lays eggs so I can cook him a nice spinach pie"..
lau.gif
I kill me!

You ask the question of keeping track of egg production, well I do keep track of mine. I write down on a calender every day who layed an egg for that day, I have both LF and bantam orps. I currently have four split lavs and they are egg laying machines. I get faithfully four eggs a day occasionally three and only a couple of times have I ever had two. I have even recently gotten five in a 24 hour period from my four hens. I could not ask for a better group of girls!
big_smile.png

Production and meat quality are two key components to the orpington breed. Anything less would be unspeakable.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom