Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
clap.gif
Hooray for Peep! Congratulations on your new larger flock!
thumbsup.gif

new photos of my now 16 week old project lav orps
smile.png

cockerals, one photo of each (2)
15-1.jpg

16-1.jpg

pullets, i have 4, it appears i only got indicidual photos of 3
17-1.jpg

19-1.jpg

20-1.jpg

and the bbs orps i just hatched, i think 3 are black!! which is excellent, i have tried a few batches of bbs so far this year but so far have only got blue and splash chicks! I am really hopeing i have a cockeral from the blacks, so i have an unrelated bird to make some black split lav chicks in the spring!

23-1.jpg

Megs! Beautiful pics! I also have 2 Lav Orps that are about 16 weeks old. From the get go, I've been told they are both cockerels when I've posted photos, but I am still not 100% convinced of this. I have a question for you since your's are about the same age as mine, are all your pullets tails much longer than your cockerels? Because I've noticed this week that the one I suspect may be a pullet, or should I say I HOPE is a pullet, that one's tail has really shot out in the last week or two, where the for sure cockerel's tail is still stubbyish. Is this true with yours? I keep looking for saddle feathers to help me confirm, but I haven't seen them yet. I can't tell by the hackle feathers either!!! Driving me nuts!
barnie.gif

I did get more chicks at the end of August, 3 Lavender, 3 black and 1 blue. So far I think I may have lucked out and have 2 pullets in that batch of Lavender. Hoping for at least one hen out of the black and blue ones.
fl.gif

my post on this thread, #158, has photos of my lav orps at 8 weeks old, you can see the difference in the pullets and cockerals quite clearly even at that young age, the cockerals have never had any tails and the pullets have had noticibly longer tails. and the cockerals combs were larger as well. As of now yes all of the pullets have long/narrow tails and the cockerals have virtually no tails still.

any chance you can get some new photos to post? at 16 weeks i think it *should* be fairly easy to tell? though since they are still very much a "project" color i suppose depending on the line they are from they will look and mature at different rates.

ETA: in the photos on poast 158, i had sexes correct, but i was told to keep an eye on the last pullet (back of photo) in the photo of the "lavender pullets" shot with the 4, as it could have been a slow developing cockeral. i was very happy it was not. also at 8 weeks you can see the difference in the two cockerals, one had much more developed wattles/comb even though they were the same age. they developed at slightly different rates.

Last edited:
Thanks Megs. I will try and get new photos of them today. Yes, both of their combs were pronounced early, hence why everyone thinks they may be two males. But the 2nd one's wattles aren't as big, it is a smaller bird, and now all of a sudden it has this huge tail when the other doesn't........I guess it's hard when I don't have a bunch of pullets to compare too!

Here's my new peeps, one day old...finally!!
ya.gif

028.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

The eggs were scbatz and I have six more from another BYC member whose birds are hinkjc's lines.
Is the lighter one a blue? Splash? Lavender?

Very cute!
love.gif
If they're from lavender birds, you can't get blue or splash chicks. Lavender crossed with lavender makes all lavender offspring. Are they from lav X black breeding or blue X black? That will help to tell what color they are for sure.

Back
Top Bottom