Lavender Orpington project ....

Cool. If that's what they are then you have a lav chick and 3 black chicks that carry the lavender gene.
woot.gif

I took one of ours to an APA show yesterday. The judge (Mr. Burton from W-S, NC) said he was happy to see one in the show ring. He said that he wasn't going to spend much time explaining to me what I needed to work on with him because he said I probably already knew. I take that as a compliment I guess. He suggested that I cross him with Blue Orps to help get rid of the black ticking in his feathering since crossing him to a Black Orp would make it worse. He told me to look at the Self Blue color on an OEGB or d'Uccle for what he wanted him to look like. Also, he said he should be a lot bigger, but we know that.

Also, hinkjc - he was impressed with our Buff cockerel we hatched from you. When I told him he was only about 7-8 months old, he said that he was going to finish out to be a nice bird but, again, he wanted me to work on size. The same judge has judged the CFPA show for several years, so he has seen the progress I've made with the Buffs. He suggested that I plan a trip to next years' Ohio Nationals and bring the checkbook because he saw the kind of Buffs that I have been looking for up there.

I snared four of Kathy's black..mottled? Lavender carrier project birds. Beautiful little birds, I'm really hoping one will be a boy. I have a Lavender pullet who's getting to be massive. Wattles and combs are still pink though! She might actually start laying before my much older Welsummer though.

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think they're from a lav X black breeding. I'll have to double check.

I only have lav and blacks. So you have a lav and three little splits. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

It's in the packing kids, I'm telling you. These babies were sent form KY to AK. packed snug as a bug in a rug. Congrats!!!!!!

Quote:
reprisal:: Not all birds hatched will be winners, one must hatch lots to select from.. i know if the judge seen my buff roo's in our pens he wouldnt say there to small he'd say there a bit to big.. are 5th gen lav will be nice, i can see it in them already...should be nice and big and very fluffy this round, if I'm not wrong you only have 2nd gen lavs if i remember correctly..

Last edited:
Hi, I just wanted to tell everyone that I will soon have lavender orpingtons!
fl.gif
I have 18 in the incubator from ChooksChick that went in on the 15th and I have 18 more on the way from Tony, they should be here tomorrow. So here's hoping to great hatching
jumpy.gif
I think that the Lavender Orps are the prettiest bird around, by far!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
reprisal:: Not all birds hatched will be winners, one must hatch lots to select from.. i know if the judge seen my buff roo's in our pens he wouldnt say there to small he'd say there a bit to big.. are 5th gen lav will be nice, i can see it in them already...should be nice and big and very fluffy this round, if I'm not wrong you only have 2nd gen lavs if i remember correctly..

Please note that I'm not complaining about the quality of your birds, only giving a run-down of the show yesterday. I understand very well about the "not all hatched will be winners" bit since we have been showing our Buffs for 5 years now. They are a work in progress and we feel we are heading in another step in the right direction by adding your line to ours. It was only the opinion of one judge at one small show.

Last edited:
LOL Yeah, everyone's got an opinion. It is interesting the judge recommended breeding blue into the lavs. IMO, that is the biggest mistake someone could do, as it will create a mess. What it takes to breed nice clear lavenders is breeding and selection. In my new generation I don't see a single sign of fretting yet. But I'll keep a close eye for any signs as they mature. The dilution is not stable in the early generations, so this is something that has to be worked on.

I think the General is about the one of best quality Buff cocks on this site. Great color and type. With him as 50% of what you got, you have the genetics to make more like him. Size is always a concern for any large fowl breeder. I have a few of the big name Buff lines, and was surprised on their size being smaller then a few of my 50/50 Buff lines of lesser known breeders. Great color and type will always win out over just size. My Buff cock got crushed at our state fair cause he was too lite, and not as good a condition, (starting his molt) to a slightly smaller but much higher quality Buff cock. The winning bird had the correct type and color and was still at least 10 lbs. 10 lbs is the standard for a Buff cock. many like to say alot about their 12, 15 lbs Orps. Unfortunately those size Orps would be DQ'd at a show. MAYBE not a DQ in ones backyard.

Back
Top Bottom