Lavender Orpington project ....

I am usually a lurker but have Lavender Orpingtons speculatively 4th generation. I am really excited about improving type on them. I have some wonderful Black Orpingtons from the Hinks and also a breeder in Washington. Am breeding them now for my new batch of splits. I adore the Black Orp roos. Can't wait for my Lavender Orp roos to look like that. Down the road when I get some pures from my splits I'll post pics. I have culled heavily and also have selected for more uniform color. I prefer the more pearl color. Feather quality is also improving. I prefer the Orp style that is a step away from Cochin looking. I like the hiney fluff and deep V but only prefer the 'cushion' on the Cochins. I think there needs to be distinquishable differences between the two breeds besides the foot feathering.

Quote:
The ideal thing to strive for is both type AND productivity in a heritage breed, regardless whether it's a new color or not. Some prefer true English type, some more American type & some in between. My Black Orpingtons and Lavender Project Orpingtons are extremely productive. I only have 6 girls -- I get at least 1 egg a day from the 2 lavenders -- most days both lay. I get 2 to 4 eggs a day from the blacks. Today I got 6 eggs , which is not a surprise.

The Australorp was developed from the Orpington in Australia -- hence the name Austral orp ---no big surprise that there are similarities. Good quality Orpingtons can definitely be as productive as their poor quality "cousins" from hatcheries. Most hatchery Orps don't even LOOK like Orpingtons.

I read this post earlier:
I think yours are beautiful Kathy!! Something i'd like to strive for. Seeing as this is a project there is alot of inconsistency right now. Once there is a standard then we will know what the APA looks for, and how to get it. However to each their own and I love my birds that I got from Sarah!!! I've noticed alot of birds tend to look washed out. I like a little definition in the coloring. Gives them depth.

There is an APA standard for Orpingtons. The only thing not yet accepted is the color.

I love being quoted!! Makes me feel like a super star!!

I am locking down my first hatching of Lavender Orps in the morning. I think the breeder told me these are 6 generation...I will have to check my email to make sure..but am excited..this has got to be a good hatch...the eggs where costly!! Will post pics when things get going...going to say a good prayer over them!
fl.gif

Quote:
I'm not trying to get down on anybody. I don't have a team. I also hope I didn't offend anyone.

You never know what the APA is gonna decide... I tend to think that they're traditionalists and part of the decision is influenced by the club appying to add the new color. It could be just add the color, which seems to be the norm so far. For example, Lav/self blue silkies don't have a different body type than any other silkies in the standard. Not sure the American Poultry Association would be keen on changing the standard for the entire breed to the English standard, but who knows? I'm just guessing & probably playing it safe by breeding toward the standard. I do show, so maybe that's why. Mine may end up between the 2 standards also.

I did choose to use a more English type when I bought this last bunch of black orps to work on type, size, feather quality & help to take the word project out of the equation. They are some big, beautiful girls! I like both the SQ American type & the English type, but felt that using the English type on "less than" Orpy lavender birds would bring progress faster than choosing American style Orps.

I am totally with you about people selling to make a quick buck. Particularly "pure lavs only" auctions. But I won't call someone out on it, either. I'm sure we'll see more & more of it in the near future. I've had these 2 years. Kept only the best lavender cockerel & split girl.... she was good enough to win BB & Best English at the NYS Fair. Hatched from them. Only kept a trio. Then I went back to using pure black orps. Bought, grew out & sold off several blacks that werent worthy of the project.... actually got rid of all of the black orps I bought the first year. Bought better blacks the next time. Culled down this last set from 15 or so to 4 hens after growing them out. I won't sell "just lav" chicks or eggs, because they really need the improvement that will come from breeding the lavs & splits or splits & splits from the next generation. Of course, I can't control what people will do once they have them. All I can do is ask that they continue the work, just as Jody asked of me when I bought mine. I just think it's the right thing to do, because I feel I made a commitment when I got them. I can only hope that people I sell to will feel the same way.

Yes.... Playing nice is a very good idea.
smile.png

no wonder the lavenders are so hot, even if they aren't perfect, its the talk that keeps the drive going..free press always helps keep dreams alive..
yippiechickie.gif

I'm glad i don't go shopping in malls with most of y'all,,
he.gif
we'd never get out of them... just fun teasing....
lau.gif

Quote:
My only Lavender rooster, who does not look real Orpy, does he? I have him with a 10 pound black "English type" girl and the two in these photos.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_2-23-2011_flock_018.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_ship3-21-2011008.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_2-23-2011_flock_032.jpg

I like the type (or shape) of one of my blue girls here .....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_2-23-2011_flock_035.jpg

I love the roo and the blue girl!

Quote:
I wasn't singling you out. I'm sorry if you thought so. I've just seen so many of these threads go south lately.......

I do think you're right, the APA won't change the whole standard for one variety. What I would hope to see is more of a meeting in the middle. I think the english orp brings that to the table. What I've seen of the american orps that are most ly hatchery stock (that is a caveat for sure) is it's just not even looking like an orp.

This is what I think about when I look at my birds.......
21675_orpbw.jpg

Shorter, stockier, wide stance, big breast short curvy tail, small head, smallish comb. To me, this is what an orpington should look like. I may be TOTALLY wrong, but it is what I think of when I think ideal.

I've got this split on my split hens. He's not as nice as I'd like, but he is by far the best split from last year. he's a bit too deep in the "U" and he's too leggy, but he is a big improvement from the previous years breedings. He is the result of a F3 lav roo over a SQ black hen.
21675_22411birds_049.jpg

NOw this guy! This guy is just stunning in my mind. He is currently over my lav F5 hen. He will be over all my lavs from this year and then we will see where those splits go. He is also going to be shown this year.
21675_22411birds_009.jpg

I agree completely with what you said about using english to get the quick turn around. And that is exactly what I'm working on as well. Last year I didn't keep any of my lav chicks from the lav roo/split hen breedings. For the very reasons you talked about. One, I think the color is too dark. i too prefer the pearly coloration. And tow, because although the roo was decent, the offspring were not enhancing themselves toward the standard.

Like I said, I like the english look. I am a bit dismayed by the reports of low fertility due mostly to too much feathering. I think that by breeding towards the middle we end up with a bird that is more like what was originally intended. Pretty, but practical.

Kathy, have you noticed any of your birds doing this?
21675_jody_chicks_066.jpg

see how her feathers are all almost frizzled? They aren't curling, but they are like some one took a pair of thinning sheers to them.

Back
Top Bottom