Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
You have to remember these are a project bird not a standard for Orps. Your working with a color and depends on the generation that you have yours to. I have no problems with my hens, they are calm sweet girls but the roosters can get hyper and aggressive. It will take generations of breeding back to good Black Orpingtons to improve stock.

My son won't go near our Lavender rooster unless he's carrying something to use as a shield. Come to think of it, our lav Ameraucana rooster is crazy too, but not quite as aggressive. Elton attacked my boots yesterday... guess he doesn't like leopard print!
gig.gif

Quote:
You have to remember these are a project bird not a standard for Orps. Your working with a color and depends on the generation that you have yours to. I have no problems with my hens, they are calm sweet girls but the roosters can get hyper and aggressive. It will take generations of breeding back to good Black Orpingtons to improve stock.

My son won't go near our Lavender rooster unless he's carrying something to use as a shield. Come to think of it, our lav Ameraucana rooster is crazy too, but not quite as aggressive. Elton attacked my boots yesterday... guess he doesn't like leopard print!
gig.gif

My lav rooster is totally sweet to both people and the hens. I think like any other rooster, it depends on the bird, not so much the breed. ALL my lav hens are mellow and sweet.

Quote:
gig.gif

My lav rooster is totally sweet to both people and the hens. I think like any other rooster, it depends on the bird, not so much the breed. ALL my lav hens are mellow and sweet.

My lavender amer roos is very nice. My lav orps are all from hinkjc farm.

tgrlily - my silky is blue not black and of course the porcelain and the other looks to be lavender. It's a light gray.

Quote:

My lavender amer roos is very nice. My lav orps are all from hinkjc farm.

tgrlily - my silky is blue not black and of course the porcelain and the other looks to be lavender. It's a light gray.

Almost everyone's Lavender were started from Hinkjc. It's still a project bird, not a standard in Orps. They are on the 6th generation now I believe.

Yup, rancher has some of our 6th gen peeps. I tend to agree with mediazeal in that birds differ in personality, and this happens for various reasons. I find most of my lavender behave similar to the rest of my orps and my current roos are not aggressive at all. Very laid back and nice boys. Some past roos were put down for bad behavior. It's not something I like to breed unless I have no choice. The hens range from very mellow and sometimes a bit edgy. I have a broody lav hen right now who is so sweet. She puffs up and growls but she gives you those cute eyes like "please let me hatch some babies". They do seem to have distinct personalities.

my lavs are from greenfire farms and are some of the sweetest birds I own, their tempermemt is similar to my black and blues, oh and did I mention, they just started laying yee haa

Well it could be not enough handling but we shall see. I hope they aren't excitable.

My new bunch of Del pullets are very nice. I can pick them up. Course no chicken likes quick moves.

Quote:
Elton was handled a lot as a chick. Used to sit on Noah's lap. It could be personalities -- some of our silkies prefer to ignore us, others want to be carried around. Could be that Elton is just like his dear old dad, Lester. Adam doesn't seem quite as fiesty as Elton. None of my LF roosters can hold a candle to our Dorking Rex in the personality department.

I hate these stupid birds, can't believe I was so stupid to buy them. Every time you got near them they freak. I want to wring every one of their necks! I sneeze and they go crazy. If I had known how nasty they were I wouldn't have bought them, in fact you wouldn't have been able to give them to me.

If I hadn't paid so much for them I would wring their necks.
rant.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif

They sure as heck better lay a decent sized and amount of eggs or I will wring their necks! And that goes for the roosters too!

Back
Top Bottom