Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
Beauty ain't everything. These guys must be the pitbulls of the chicken world. I think I'll chain them up in the yard. Bet even a hawk can't get these guys.

Quote:
I second this. I have yet in three years to have a mean lav. I had a split with a bit of attitude when I first got them but he went to the pot!

I have had a mean Lavender, from the earlier generation. The one rooster I have now is fine. They are not overly friendly, like Delawares, and I would not call them, "sweet," but they are not flighty by any means either.

Last edited:
Hi, I've read the last 20 pages. I am getting Lavender chicks in a few days and I am hoping to start a hobby breeding program with them. Just a few questions. Should I bring in a roo from another lavender flock or have some people on here successfully family bred? I would imagine that this breed needs more diversity in genes.

Where's the best place(s) to get breeding stock for chicks and/or eggs currently? I see stuff on eBay from time to time but would love a heads up on who has the best reputation on there. Would also love names of farms that provide good stock.

What personal standard is everyone aiming for?

Also, what is a split?

Quote:
Where are you getting your chicks?
smile.png

Most Lavender Project Orpingtons arent typey enough to take the word "Project" out of the name. That doesn't stop some people from selling only Lavender chicks or eggs & not telling you that they're not finished. Depending on the breeder -- some look more like Orpingtons than others -- some just look like lavender chickens.

That said --- what I did was purchase really high quality black Orpington hens to put with my Lavender rooster. The resulting chicks are called splits or black split to lavender. When the splits grow up, I'll either breed them together or back to the lavender. Even though I selected more of an English type for my cross, I'm breeding toward the current standard in the SOP. That's just my preference & I guess I'm playing it safe.
wink.png

IMO -- get ahold of Jody & Charlie.... look for "hinkjc" or "wilds of pa" on here.

Quote:
Where are you getting your chicks?
smile.png

Most Lavender Project Orpingtons arent typey enough to take the word "Project" out of the name. That doesn't stop some people from selling only Lavender chicks or eggs & not telling you that they're not finished. Depending on the breeder -- some look more like Orpingtons than others -- some just look like lavender chickens.

That said --- what I did was purchase really high quality black Orpington hens to put with my Lavender rooster. The resulting chicks are called splits or black split to lavender. When the splits grow up, I'll either breed them together or back to the lavender. Even though I selected more of an English type for my cross, I'm breeding toward the current standard in the SOP. That's just my preference & I guess I'm playing it safe.
wink.png

IMO -- get ahold of Jody & Charlie.... look for "hinkjc" or "wilds of pa" on here.

Couldn't have said it any better!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Simply put, most lavenders in this country come either from an original east coast line or west coast line. Plenty of people are now advertising lavenders, here and on ebay. HOWEVER, not many of those people selling "pure" lavender orpingtons are 1. calling the projects anymore - which they ALL still are and 2. are working to improve the lines.

By working to improve the lines, I mean, they are not adding in more "type" birds to bring the lavender birds up to the SOP. They are just throwing a bunch of lavender colored birds in a pen and breeding them and calling them "pure" or "rare" and casually omitting the "project" part.

If you are wanting a flock of pretty birds that have some orpington blood in them, then take your pick. There are plenty of people selling them. But buyer beware, because there are major feather, temperament and size issues in those birds. And they ARE NOT pure orpingtons. They may be pure lavender, but that's it.

If you are wanting birds that are still being worked on to bring them to standard, then you will have to look a little harder. Those breeders are still adding in "type" birds from non-lavender lines and they are selling "splits". True, you will get some lavenders depending on the mix of the flock, but mostly , they will be black offspring that carry the lavender gene and will need further breeding to bring out the color and continue improving towards the orpington standard.

There are a couple of breeders that are seriously working on this but they don't have regular auctions. Luckychick has a real nice "type" black roo over her lav hens. corancher has got some nice stock. There is also a gal in California who has the nicest lavenders, color, size and type I've seen yet. She is on ebay occasionally. I don't know her name.

There are others, I'm not sure of who specifically. You have to scout around. But again, it's what you are looking to accomplish. Just remember, they are ALL project birds and none of them are 100% orpington, yet.

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I am getting my first batch from Hodges Farms. Once they get bigger, I will decide whether or not to bring in other stock. It will really depend on their quality and whether or not I want to do a lot of improvements or just keep them around the farm to enjoy. Someone told me that farms will often sell their blacks and splits but keep the pure lavender chicks for themselves (thus why they prefer to go with fertile eggs instead of chicks). I am hoping that won't be the case.

I'll be back on here again to see how everyone else is doing with their project lavenders!

Back
Top Bottom