Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
Opps, I stole scbatz33's pic, but my cutie pie looks the same.
I have 2 lav chicks that hatched in this batch with Ms. Mot
So do I need to breed the lavs back to black to get rid of the mottled gene?
was there info on that on page 68 or something?
I'll go look but any help is much appreciated
smile.png

Ok, page 90
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=329273&p=90

Page 71
Quote:

Last edited:
What we did to get rid of the mottled in the project was culled all obvious birds that carried the gene (any white tipped feathers and white legs). We then took select lavender birds and bred them back to black again, which seems to have worked. Once we had black split chicks, we bred the siblings (did not go back to lavender, in case it carried the gene and was not visible because its recessive) and selected lavenders from the sibling breeding. Then take those lavs back to black again and repeat as above. It takes time and proper selections to get rid of it completely, but it can be done.

Quote:
great advice time is everthing.so many people just keep breeding lavs to lavs an selling them as very rare pure lavs but if you do that they will never get better i love your f5's nice work an it is great seeing someone put the time in.

Just giving this a boost. I think the Lav Orp project will be getting a great boost in looking Orpy. Scbatz's black Orp roo just took 1st at a show, he is a STUNNER and will be a great addition to helping improve type.

Quote:
Very nice!
clap.gif

Thanks. If this monster of a bufff hen hadn't shown up, we'd have taken BB. She also was reserve English. She was almost as big as my guy!!! One heck of a looker - and I don't even like buffs!

21675_shelbyvillemay2011_007.jpg

VERY Handsome!!!! If our black Orp roos had been that handsome and not freaking jerk evil birds, we'd be happily using them on our Orp hens.

Quote:
He has now been bumped to top breeder. He is on my split hens. I have one monster of a lav boy growing out of my split boy (lav roo x sq hen) right now so by next spring
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

It backs up the color transfer a bit, but size is more important.

Back
Top Bottom