Lavender Orpington project ....

I find the yellowing only to be on the roosters. In my opinion it is also happening from scratch grains and being in the sun/weather too much. As Jeremy stated these are project birds and not a standard type or color for Orps. They need to be bred back onto the good type black Orpington breed since black is one of the original accepted color in Orps. Keeping them bred only to the same generation you are not improving type and will see this black ticking/fretting continue and not improve.

Of course I am one of those people who has learned about LOs after the fact.
hide.gif
I just hatched out a batch of chicks and they had a lot of yellow in them. Needless to say, I was very disappointed, and have been reading this thread a little more. I realise now because I do not have a black orpington, I cannot improve my stock, so I should not hatch out any more, and definitely not sell them. Here is a question that I'm going to ask that I really mean no offense by, but is it right for people to sell LO chicks that they themselves are not trying to improve? Does this not lead to the proliferation of poor quality birds that will never reach the standard? I'm not trying to be critical, but am more disappointed in myself for not having done the research myself first. It is so easy to look at the pretty pictures and say you want them for yourself and maybe share with others later, but really it's people like me who are doing a disservice to the project. Just some thoughts.

There are quite a few different options to you. IF I was you I would ditch the Lav males and wait for a quality Exhibition Black Orp breeder to let loose a Black male. Bammachicken frequently I see seeeing Black males of of quality. Then use that Black for a couple of years. Each year keeping and using ONLY the Lavender pullets back to that Black male. After 3 generations of doing this you should have close to what you will want.
good luck
Bill

Of course I am one of those people who has learned about LOs after the fact.
hide.gif
I just hatched out a batch of chicks and they had a lot of yellow in them. Needless to say, I was very disappointed, and have been reading this thread a little more. I realise now because I do not have a black orpington, I cannot improve my stock, so I should not hatch out any more, and definitely not sell them. Here is a question that I'm going to ask that I really mean no offense by, but is it right for people to sell LO chicks that they themselves are not trying to improve? Does this not lead to the proliferation of poor quality birds that will never reach the standard? I'm not trying to be critical, but am more disappointed in myself for not having done the research myself first. It is so easy to look at the pretty pictures and say you want them for yourself and maybe share with others later, but really it's people like me who are doing a disservice to the project. Just some thoughts.

Chicks do have a tinge of yellow to them. I had planned to post a pic of an earlier generation but this new byc is hard enough getting online to post let alone add a picture!!!!
rant.gif

I use both the lavender rooster on good black type orp hens and the lavender hens on a black orp rooster. I do lots of culling and only keep the lavender color to work with. My culls are usually sent out to be backyard pullets for egg laying and the cockerels/roosters are sent to freezer camps.

That's what people do not understand that it is a project bird and they are doing a disservice when they do not keep the project going. It takes time, patience and lots of work.

Last edited:
Here are my original chicks (Ignore all the dark colored chicks)

Here are these now-grown chicks, chicks: the second generation.

They second generation seem to have a lot more yellow in them, especially on the wings. Is this common?

The chick down color on a lavender should look exactly like an extended black chick at hatching. The lavender gene dilutes black and red, so the black portion of the chick would be lavender and the white or cream color areas will stay the same.

Down color is very important to look at when hatching birds of project varieties. Down color indicates what color you are working with and if it is not correct the bird is not correct in carrying the genes you want. It is a good tool to use to cull early.

Back
Top Bottom