Lavender Orpington project ....

Very cute chicks. I got some this color out of my last hatching also, just wondering what you crossed to get yours? Last year I was crossing lavender to lavender and and all chicks were normal lavender. This year I added a black English roo, and a few black English hens in with my lavender roo and hens and have been getting the mottled.

Hey all! I hatched a batch of Lavenders and some splits over the weekend and ended up with some oddballs. One is definitely a mottled Lavender. The other I have no clue if it is a black with a lot of white trim or if it could be mottled too. Any ideas?

Very cute chicks. I got some this color out of my last hatching also, just wondering what you crossed to get yours? Last year I was crossing lavender to lavender and and all chicks were normal lavender. This year I added a black English roo, and a few black English hens in with my lavender roo and hens and have been getting the mottled.

The mottled are from 2 different roos...one Lavender roo and one Black English roo. Both were over the same group of hens.

Is any one else getting these mottled chicks? I'm wondering if the color has something to do with the English lines? My oldest one is an almost 3 month old very nice pullet. Very English in type.

The mottled gene was unintentionally included in early Hinkjc lines in the, US. I don't know if it is commonly hidden in any of the English lines, but have not heard that it was. It is entirely possible to have it in your birds and not realize it since it is a recessive gene. If you have two birds hiding it (so to speak) only 25 % of the offspring will statistically be mottled, although an additional 25% will be carriers of the gene. And of course, small scale hatches don't go by a statistics hand book. If you hatch hundreds of birds, you should be able to pick out the trend, but if you hatch 10 or 20 that doesn't always hold true. This could be why you didn't see it in your last hatches. OR you may have hens that carry the gene and the rooster that you added is also a carrier but your old rooster was not. You must have a rooster carrier and at least one hen which is a carrier. (Either way, they are very pretty birds.
smile.png

There is a TON of information on here about the mottled gene. If you do a search it will provide you some good information.

I would search for some nice SOP quality Black hens. First generation you would get all Splits (Black carrying the lav gene). Then in year two, breed the Splits to their sire. That should get you some nice Self Blue/Lavs to work with.

Note: The photo shows up in the quotes. He looks nice!

Just joined and need some support. I have a roo sold to me as ameraucana. Want to breed to lav hens. Can't find any. Opinions on roo etc?

Awww. His pic didn't attach. I'll try again.

Last edited:
what are they split on? I have lavender and black split. -should only end up with pure lavender and black (split) chicks. from what I understand lav doesn't split well with other colors to get pure lavender. they are pretty, curious what you get when they start to feather out!

Back
Top Bottom