Lavender Orpington rooster?

espers

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2022
Hi all! Based on some internet research, I think my Lavender Orpington is a rooster and not a hen. I'm a new backyard chicken enthusiast, though, and I wanted to get some expert eyes to help me confirm.

Background info:
I ordered four chicks from MyPetChicken, all females - Lavender Orpington, Black Silkie Bantam, Black Frizzle Cochin Bantam, and a Frizzle Easter Egger. I am thinking 100% hen on the Easter Egger and black frizzle, but I'm still unsure on the Silkie and Orpington.

That being said, the chickens are 13 weeks old. The Lavender Orpington is starting to make what sounds like crowing noises and based on what I've read and studied about the feathers, I'm leaning rooster. But again, I'm brand new and want to make absolutely sure.

Thank you for the help ahead of time.

Here are some pictures:
20220818_132101.jpg

20220818_131804.jpg

Standing next to the Easter Egger:
20220818_131959.jpg

Hi all! Based on some internet research, I think my Lavender Orpington is a rooster and not a hen. I'm a new backyard chicken enthusiast, though, and I wanted to get some expert eyes to help me confirm.

Background info:
I ordered four chicks from MyPetChicken, all females - Lavender Orpington, Black Silkie Bantam, Black Frizzle Cochin Bantam, and a Frizzle Easter Egger. I am thinking 100% hen on the Easter Egger and black frizzle, but I'm still unsure on the Silkie and Orpington.

That being said, the chickens are 13 weeks old. The Lavender Orpington is starting to make what sounds like crowing noises and based on what I've read and studied about the feathers, I'm leaning rooster. But again, I'm brand new and want to make absolutely sure.

Here are some pictures:
View attachment 3227742
View attachment 3227745

View attachment 3227746
Yep, he's 100% a cockerel.

Also, if anyone happens to see this, since he is a cockerel, should I be concerned for the safety of my bantams? My frizzle is especially small but she and the silkie seem to adore him. They follow him all day.

The bantam silver leghorn is 6 yo, and has lived with this polish mix or our buff orpington rooster for most of her life. Her biggest threats are stray dogs & hawks. Survivor of 2 dog attacks and 2 hawk attacks. No problems with the boys! 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20220804_152137.jpg
    IMG_20220804_152137.jpg
    942.9 KB · Views: 13

Background info:

Here are some pictures:
View attachment 3227742
View attachment 3227745

View attachment 3227746
Definitely not a hen!

Back
Top Bottom