Lavender Orpington roosters or not

Sheilabvr

Hatching
Aug 29, 2018
I have 30 chickens, 1/2 are layers 1/2 are about 3 months old, and 3 Muscovy female ducks. I’m thinking about getting 2,
4/5 month old lavender Orpington roosters, who are inseparable. Wasn’t going to get any roosters???
but maybe will?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I am by no means an expert but what I've learned from here about lavender is:
It's Very difficult to keep your breeding line clean unless you have lavender hens or don't mind breeding back to your blacks. If you have any first generation chicks from a lavender cock and black hen they'll be split to lavender and further generations will have the lavender recessive gene. IOW your blacks won't be pure blacks downline. Also to keep your lavender roosters from tail shred you need to breed back to black every once in a while to get rid of it but it depends on your roosters when that will need to be done.

Lastly, breeding lavender to other colours basically gives you not the nicest colours "muddy" is what I've been advised.

I have a lavender cock I've decided not to breed as I want to keep my black line pure at this time. I can then breed black to black or blue to black without worrying about a lavender gene popping up downline.

Hopefully, someone with experience breeding lavenders will come by and give you more insight.

Back
Top Bottom