LAVENDER ORPINGTONS(4) + 1 FBCM & 1 Ameracauna PICS FROM HATCH(did I really get 5 ROOS???)

r1forb

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Sunny Florida

barnie.gif
OMG I will never use a Broody hen in the heat of FL summer again ....I think the "higher temps give you Roos" could possibly be true!!! So here's what happened. My FBCM went Broody this summer and just WOULD NOT snap out of it ....kicking everyone out of their favorite nest box daily so I finally decided I would let her be a momma and purchased some eggs from a farm I really like. After all I'm still missing "blue" from my Natural Easter Egg basket ....out of 8 eggs only 6 were fertile ... Momma Lucy was super happy & all might finally be well in the world again. The peeps showed up almost 2 days early... for sure a FULL day early ...caught me off guard.
ep.gif
Well Hello there little one .....lol. I ended up with 4 Lavender Orpingtons which are beautiful (not going to get my my blue egg but that's ok I've heard nothing but great things about them) Then my 1 chance for the blue egg was the Ameracauna and imagine my very happy surprise to see a BCM because I sold this farm their 2 Roosters last year so they could start breeding FBCM's .....so wow this little tike had come full circle! But now they are over 4 weeks .... They will be 5 weeks This Thur. August 14th and I am only positive I have 1 pullet ....she is much smaller than the other 5. She is one of the Lav. Orps and very sweet docile and inquisitive . I am also positive of the Lav Orps is a Roo and you could basically tell that from the moment he busted out of the shell!!!
lau.gif
I think his comb helped him pip! My FBCM I am currently on the fence about because even though the comb has turned VERY pink in the past week it has NO definition like my Marans in the past nor does it have any waddles or pinking of waddles like mine did in the past at this age ...so ANY thoughts On the FBCM would be appreciated.
I know NOTHING about this Ameracauna ....totally new to this breed so ANY thoughts about how quickly they develop would be appreciated. And as you will see I have 2 Lavender Orps who are similar and not like the the obvious Roo or Pullet
Mainly I thought it would be awesome to include all these photos as I see so many people looking for photos of these breeds at young ages so I thought I would try to include as many as I could from hatch to now ....including Stance, Feathers, Combs Etc ....
Please Comment Share....Enjoy

Last edited:

this was out first outing
wee.gif
I decided not to let crazy Momma Lucy do all the raising she's a little nutty and I wanted them more used to me so I had separated her from them after about 2 weeks

No doubt about that little ROO

Looking very much like a pullet in this pic but when you see the pic of all 5 of these against my one little "for sure" Pullett ???

I just love this picture
This is my Roo No Question in the front ....the 2 Lavender Orps in the background are the ones I can"t really figure out

From here on out I have tried to include plenty of pics of the "2 Lavenders in question"

My BCM that turned very pink but is not defined at all. My last batch of these guys had VERY WELL DEFINED COMBS at this age and their tails were different .... this is the only one with a short stubby tail like the one I am positive is a pullet out of the Lav. Orps And BTW these pics were taken today 8-12-14

My sweet tiny little girl ...she's so much smaller than everyone

It's a Mystery?? lol

please don't be a Roo...

The two in question .... staring each other down

I don't know about ANY of these 3 right here.... as I said ...almost 5 weeks (few days away)
perfect photo showing how 5 are all about the same size

side by side of the 2 Lavender Orps in question again

my sweet tiny little girl next to one of the questionalbles ...her feathers haven't even come in right ...one more of the pullet so you can see her feathers and tail compared to the others BIG difference

enjoying a dust bath

close up of that comb ...any guesses???
then you see those massive legs ....

Hope you all enjoys all the photos and it helps you some I would love to know your guesses on the 2 unknown Lavender Orpingtons and This guy/gal above as I am unfamiliar with Ameracaunas .....and like I said my FBCM has me a bit stumped .... my pullets have never pinked up like that. But my Roos always had very distinct defined combs by now so
idunno.gif

You have all pullets but the black, the one lavender, and the EE, these 3 are cockerels.
smile.png
I was wondering about that this morning....so I didn't even get my 1 chance to get the Ameracauna lol ....I ended up with an EE?? and it's a Roo to boot
bow.gif
gig.gif
he.gif

Thanks for the responses! Crazy how different the 3 Lavender Orpingtons Look

Back
Top Bottom