Lavender Orpingtons? Are they rare?

JessicaPoff

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
Just how rare are the Lavender Orpingtons and do they normally have problems? We have always wanted the LOs and we finally found some at a Rural King store which is about 2 hours from us. My husband had work in that area was the only reason why was there. They had a few LOs left. So he purchased 6 and my husband's boss also purchased the other 6. They said they had just got them in from a hatchery in Iowa. Well four of ours died within a few days. :( so we only have two left and also my husband's friend lost 3 pretty much the same time and the same way we did. I have called around to all the local stores and we can not find the LOs anywhere nor can we seem to find a local hatchery that has them too. I do not trust the post office to have some shipped. So that is definitely out.
We were told that these are a very rare breed and you are lucky if you come across them. I am just so sad we lost that many.

Not particularly rare, and normally the only problem is occasional poor feather quality. Sorry for your losses, and good luck in locating more birds.

They might have been rare even 2 years ago, but not really anymore. Everyone and their kid tried to be part of that bubble.

Hatchery ones honestly are probably healthier than some of the ones you can get eggs from on ebay, the main problem is that they usually have a shredding gene that makes their feathers look ragged

They might have been rare even 2 years ago, but not really anymore. Everyone and their kid tried to be part of that bubble.

Hatchery ones honestly are probably healthier than some of the ones you can get eggs from on ebay, the main problem is that they usually have a shredding gene that makes their feathers look ragged
Is there something I can do to make their feathers look nicer. I have noticed this with the two I have. Their feathers look real dry

No. It's genetics, so just proper breeding can try to eliminate it
O that sucks. I didn’t know if maybe some coconut oil in their food would help when they get older. I definitely don’t want ugly chickens lol but as long as the lay well, guess I can’t complain

Just how rare are the Lavender Orpingtons and do they normally have problems? We have always wanted the LOs and we finally found some at a Rural King store which is about 2 hours from us. My husband had work in that area was the only reason why was there. They had a few LOs left. So he purchased 6 and my husband's boss also purchased the other 6. They said they had just got them in from a hatchery in Iowa. Well four of ours died within a few days. :( so we only have two left and also my husband's friend lost 3 pretty much the same time and the same way we did. I have called around to all the local stores and we can not find the LOs anywhere nor can we seem to find a local hatchery that has them too. I do not trust the post office to have some shipped. So that is definitely out.
We were told that these are a very rare breed and you are lucky if you come across them. I am just so sad we lost that many.
I wouldn't say you could find them everywhere, but lavender Orpingtons are not that rare. I'm so sorry for your loses!

Is there something I can do to make their feathers look nicer. I have noticed this with the two I have. Their feathers look real dry
Not particularly rare, and normally the only problem is occasional poor feather quality. Sorry for your losses, and good luck in locating more birds.
Aww thank you. I definitely told my husband we need to try to do local hatcheries instead bc I think the long distance traveling is too much stress in these precious things. We never lost our last ones like this.

I have 2 LO hens. I've heard they need more protein, not sure how true that is. But it is possible it's helped my hens. I got them from a breeder. One is normal size and the other is smaller than Orpingtons normally are I think but she fluffs out pretty nice. :) Otherwise very healthy.

Back
Top Bottom