Lavender Orpington's X Frizzle Blue Maran and lavender breeding standards

HannaDolly

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2016
So the last batch of Lavender Orps i picked up i came home with a Frizzle Maran Chick. I had hoped the Chick would end up being a hen and he is definitely a Cockerel.

At this point he is a light Blue. He is not full grown and i expect some change in coloring as he ages.

My main question and thought ponder is this....

what is the chance of creating a Frizzle Lavender? Now mind you this is just a fun breeding idea and not for show/quality. Unless it could get there. that i doubt. But hey you never know.

So thoughts, ideas, concerns,input all is appreciated.

Also any input on the Breeding Standard for Lavender Orpington's for producing show quality Birds is also appreciated.
My main goal for my Lav's is to invest time in producing quality birds and begin showing in local events.
What do you look for in each bird.
What do you breed out of your flock.

Pictures of project or show birds welcome!

:)

There is no breed standard for Lavender Orpingtons. You can see the list of recognized breeds and varieties in the USA here: American Poultry Association Large Fowl Breeds and Varieties. If you're interested in the breed standard for recognized Orpington varieties you can purchase the SOP here. If you seriously want to show and have show quality birds I would suggest investing in one of the recognized varieties. Quality American Orpingtons are actually a bit rare. She's no longer active here, but have a look through the posts from "The Dragon Lady" - she bred Buff Orpingtons for over 50 years.

Your steps to make a Lavender Frizzle would be:

1. Cross Blue Frizzle male over Lavender females. Offspring are: 50% Black Frizzle, 50% Black.
  2. From the resulting offspring, keep a Black Frizzle male. Cross him over the Lavender Orpington females. Offspring are: 25% Black Frizzle, 25% Black, 25% Lavender Frizzle, 25% Lavender.
  3. From the resulting offspring, keep a Lavender Frizzle male. Cross him over Lavender Orpington females. Offspring are: 50% Lavender Frizzle, 50% Lavender.

These steps assume you're going for an Orpington. If you want a Lavender Frizzle Marans you would ideally get some Lavender females in that breed.

Thanks for your comment!
It'll be an interesting fun project to try and get the frizzle lavenders.
I wonder when the lavender will become a recognized breed color. I've got a whole of breeding before I get a lavender I'm happy with. It'll happen just a few generations from now. I was going to start with the BLR wyandottes but they are becoming so popular EVERYONE has them. I really wanted a breed a bit more on the unique side, although I still love the BLRs. Maybe some day I'll play around with them too. Where do you go to find the information of breeding and genetics? I've learned some but would like to be more knowledgeable. Thanks again!

Thanks for your comment!
I wonder when the lavender will become a recognized breed color. I've got a whole of breeding before I get a lavender I'm happy with. It'll happen just a few generations from now. I was going to start with the BLR wyandottes but they are becoming so popular EVERYONE has them. I really wanted a breed a bit more on the unique side, although I still love the BLRs. Maybe some day I'll play around with them too. Where do you go to find the information of breeding and genetics? I've learned some but would like to be more knowledgeable. Thanks again!
Lavender Orpingtons are a very long way from ever being recognized. There are simply too few good quality specimens at this point. Too many have sacrificed form for coloring. The results are birds that are Lavender, but hardly resemble the Orpington conformation.

Lavender Orpingtons are a very long way from ever being recognized. There are simply too few good quality specimens at this point. Too many have sacrificed form for coloring. The results are birds that are Lavender, but hardly resemble the Orpington conformation.

I just got ahold of two hens from a lady who bought chicks from hink jc. These two hens are absolutely gorgeous but failed to be maintained properly. I have a long way to go in cleaning them up. She had to many birds in one area. Reason why I don't and won't ever crowd my coop. I'll get pictures of them at some point, they are just a hot mess right now. A rooster must have taken its toll on on there feathers.

My idea is to work on getting the buff orpington standard for my lavender flock. I know it's going to take generation but it's a goal.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment!
The first step I would recommend would be to purchase the SOP and read the beginning which covers general selection for productive conformation. You should also read through threads like these:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/447684/farming-and-homesteading-heritage-poultry
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/882036/a-heritage-of-perfection-standard-bred-large-fowl
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/bob-blosls-heritage-large-fowl-thread

For genetics you can start reading here.

Back
Top Bottom