Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
This is so interesting! Thanks Chickat! Do you need to have barring in Isabel? What would happen in Lavender over Buff?

Here's another area where I have zero knowledge. Isabel doesn't have barring intrinsically, the purpose of adding it for this project is to achieve autosexing. I was worried that the 'look' wouldn't be as pretty as it is turning out to be.

for plain Isabel -- you would want to incorporate lavender into partridge.

-------------------------------
This is the process Buddy Henry used to establish Isabel Leghorns in the USA:

The Isabella Leghorn was orginated by Buddy Henry and is now offered in baby chicks by Cackle
Hatchery in small quanities. Below is some of Buddy’s breeding history of this beautiful chicken
breed.
2008 Lavender Orpington Male X Brown Leghorn Females from Cackle Hatchery
Result: Black offspring exhibiting gold in hackles & split for lavender, various leg colors, white
earlobes and an overall leghorn appearance. Layer of light tan eggs. Generation 1

2009 Generation 1 Male X Generation 1 Females
Result: 75% Chipmunk Pattern Chicks: Culled from breeding
20% Solid Lavender Chicks: Culled from breeding
5% Isabelle Pattern Chicks: Kept and revealed same type as generation 1 but we now have
generation 2 half orpington, half leghorn

2010 Generation 2 Males X Brown Leghorn Females from Cackle Hatchery Brown Leghorn
Males from Cackle Hatchery X Generation 2 Females
Result: Generation 3 Cross 1 Split for Lavender Generation 3
Cross 2 Split for Lavender
This generation appeared like brown leghorns only darker in color patterns. Pearl legs were
still an issue but earlobes were white and eggs were finally white.

2011 Generation 3 Cross 1 Males X Generation 3 Cross 2 Females Generation 3
Cross 2 Males X Generation 3 Cross 1 Females
Result: 50% Chipmunk Pattern Culled Same
50% Isabelle Pattern Generation 4
All birds kept and not separated. Product looks done but birds are still 25% Orpington and
very heavy in appearance.

2012 Generation 4 Males X Brown Leghorn Females Don Schrider Show Line Brown
Leghorn Males Don Schrider Line X Generation 4
Result: Generation 5 Cross 1 Generation 5
Cross 2

Generation 5 is a pure brown leghorn in every since of the word. Excellent abundance of white eggs,
large white earlobes and all yellow legs. The only difference is these birds
split for Lavender

2013 Generation 5 Cross 1 Male X Generation 5 Cross Females Generation 5
Cross 2 Males X Generation 5 Cross 1 Females
Result: 50% Pure Brown Leghorns
50% Pure Isabelle Leghorns Same

Today these birds breed true as well as many other ways to get the same result.

Isabelle X Isabelle = 100% Isabelle
Isabelle X Brown Leghorn = 50% Isabelle & 50% Brown Leghorn

These birds meet ALL requirements except for color of the American Poultry Associations Standard of Perfection Manual on a Leghorn.

--------

cackle hatchery is selling Isabel (Isabella) for 14.95/chick limit 9 here in the USA. My friend hhong3138 here on BYC may also have some to sell.... (I know that doesn't help being in Australia -- but there it is. ;O) )

Someone with buff birds could probably answer the question about that better than I. Here is the genetic recipe for buff in my book by Sigrid Van Dort "Genetics of Chicken Colours". If there was a library there that has that book, or even a university library it is well worth taking a look.....lots of information there! It's pretty pricey and can be bought on the internet.

Buff:
eb/eb s+/s+ Db/Db Co/Co Pg/Pg Di/Di (Cb/Cb)
or
eWh/eWh s+/s+ Db/Db Co/Co Di/Di (Cb/Cb when no black)
or
eWh/eWh s+/s+ Db/Db Mh/Mh Di/Di Cb/Cb Ar+/Ar+

So the performance of some of those genes I'm not at all familiar with -- but the first set - is for the E-Locus -- where this project is going for 'wild type' e+/e+ and the genetic recipe I'm using from Henk's chicken calculator is this:

Lavender Patterned Isabel Duckwing - barred
e+/e+, lav/lav and B/B are the most important (or B/- in the female) -- well let me screen shot the calculator
upload_2017-7-31_8-42-20.png

You can click on the image to show it larger.

20170731_184831.jpg
20170731_184827.jpg
20170731_184530.jpg
20170731_184704.jpg

Here's a few pics.
First two are silver duckwing X cuckoo.
Last two are Isabel X cuckoo

As we know cuckoo is extended black and it is dominate over duckwing. I wanted to show you how the duckwing bleeds through.
The silver x cuckoo hens don't show any leakage. They look straight cuckoo.
The Isabel X cuckoo pullets are black but they do show some leakage.

Attachments

• 20170731_184530.jpg
    20170731_184530.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20170731_184530.jpg
    20170731_184530.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 4
Here's another area where I have zero knowledge. Isabel doesn't have barring intrinsically, the purpose of adding it for this project is to achieve autosexing. I was worried that the 'look' wouldn't be as pretty as it is turning out to be.

for plain Isabel -- you would want to incorporate lavender into partridge.

-------------------------------
This is the process Buddy Henry used to establish Isabel Leghorns in the USA:

The Isabella Leghorn was orginated by Buddy Henry and is now offered in baby chicks by Cackle
Hatchery in small quanities. Below is some of Buddy’s breeding history of this beautiful chicken
breed.
2008 Lavender Orpington Male X Brown Leghorn Females from Cackle Hatchery
Result: Black offspring exhibiting gold in hackles & split for lavender, various leg colors, white
earlobes and an overall leghorn appearance. Layer of light tan eggs. Generation 1

2009 Generation 1 Male X Generation 1 Females
Result: 75% Chipmunk Pattern Chicks: Culled from breeding
20% Solid Lavender Chicks: Culled from breeding
5% Isabelle Pattern Chicks: Kept and revealed same type as generation 1 but we now have
generation 2 half orpington, half leghorn

2010 Generation 2 Males X Brown Leghorn Females from Cackle Hatchery Brown Leghorn
Males from Cackle Hatchery X Generation 2 Females
Result: Generation 3 Cross 1 Split for Lavender Generation 3
Cross 2 Split for Lavender
This generation appeared like brown leghorns only darker in color patterns. Pearl legs were
still an issue but earlobes were white and eggs were finally white.

2011 Generation 3 Cross 1 Males X Generation 3 Cross 2 Females Generation 3
Cross 2 Males X Generation 3 Cross 1 Females
Result: 50% Chipmunk Pattern Culled Same
50% Isabelle Pattern Generation 4
All birds kept and not separated. Product looks done but birds are still 25% Orpington and
very heavy in appearance.

2012 Generation 4 Males X Brown Leghorn Females Don Schrider Show Line Brown
Leghorn Males Don Schrider Line X Generation 4
Result: Generation 5 Cross 1 Generation 5
Cross 2

Generation 5 is a pure brown leghorn in every since of the word. Excellent abundance of white eggs,
large white earlobes and all yellow legs. The only difference is these birds
split for Lavender

2013 Generation 5 Cross 1 Male X Generation 5 Cross Females Generation 5
Cross 2 Males X Generation 5 Cross 1 Females
Result: 50% Pure Brown Leghorns
50% Pure Isabelle Leghorns Same

Today these birds breed true as well as many other ways to get the same result.

Isabelle X Isabelle = 100% Isabelle
Isabelle X Brown Leghorn = 50% Isabelle & 50% Brown Leghorn

These birds meet ALL requirements except for color of the American Poultry Associations Standard of Perfection Manual on a Leghorn.

--------

cackle hatchery is selling Isabel (Isabella) for 14.95/chick limit 9 here in the USA. My friend hhong3138 here on BYC may also have some to sell.... (I know that doesn't help being in Australia -- but there it is. ;O) )

Someone with buff birds could probably answer the question about that better than I. Here is the genetic recipe for buff in my book by Sigrid Van Dort "Genetics of Chicken Colours". If there was a library there that has that book, or even a university library it is well worth taking a look.....lots of information there! It's pretty pricey and can be bought on the internet.

Buff:
eb/eb s+/s+ Db/Db Co/Co Pg/Pg Di/Di (Cb/Cb)
or
eWh/eWh s+/s+ Db/Db Co/Co Di/Di (Cb/Cb when no black)
or
eWh/eWh s+/s+ Db/Db Mh/Mh Di/Di Cb/Cb Ar+/Ar+

So the performance of some of those genes I'm not at all familiar with -- but the first set - is for the E-Locus -- where this project is going for 'wild type' e+/e+ and the genetic recipe I'm using from Henk's chicken calculator is this:

Lavender Patterned Isabel Duckwing - barred
e+/e+, lav/lav and B/B are the most important (or B/- in the female) -- well let me screen shot the calculator
View attachment 1096393
You can click on the image to show it larger.
Thank you so much for this information. It is a lot to absorb and I will certainly have to study what you have said. Thank you for trying to answer my questions, it is very generous of you. Much appreciated.

Thank you so much for this information. It is a lot to absorb and I will certainly have to study what you have said. Thank you for trying to answer my questions, it is very generous of you. Much appreciated.

You are more than welcome for anything I said that may be useful. Others that contribute to this thread and BYC forum are more knowledgable that I am but shy posters.
:caf
It is so cool how BYC community is supportive and helpful to each other....:ya
Probably the worst is when we think we know something and the infor that we have is a little off -- so make sure to check multiple sources when there is a level of expertise question like mine. LOL - regarding silkies I know nothing. I think in the USA they are mostly bantams -- but in the UK they have full sized ones. What are yours in oz? -- Seeing a furry chicken the size of a small dog would seem a bit unnerving to me when you are used to little tiny silkies....LOL

Keep us up to date on your progress it will be interesting to see where your path leads you!

Chickat..
you know there is a photo calendar contest going on right now?
Have you entered yet?
I know you have a few good pictures laying around.

I'm trying to find that contest now..I'll post it here for you all once I find it.
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom