Lavender Silkie Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jimnjay, Sep 13, 2009.

1. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I bought a very nice gentleman lavender Silkie today. My only question is do the roosters normally have darks and lights like this boy. It only matters for reference. I am simply in love with him.
    [​IMG]

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    He looks like a Splash to me. Lavender is usually a very light gray and it is not patchy, usually a solid light gray.

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure Sonoran Silkies will know. To me your bird looks splash, but I find silkie feathering changes the way colours look.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    He's a Splash. With all the hipe over the Lavender, you have to careful. That Splash roo over the Black hen will give you Blue chicks.

Here is my Splash Roo for comparison:
    [​IMG]

5. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    Based on my own experience he looks exactly like my splash rooster. I have some pet quality lavenders and they are a solid color all over.

6. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I come to learn today the answer to this question, your boy is a splash.
    I found out today that my girl is a lavender splash.
    they should be a solid grey but with a hint of blueish, i think, well i know they said that if it has an overlay of pink in the light then it has the lavender.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Could be both lavender and splash (genetically Bl/Bl lav/lav), or could be split to lav (Bl/Bl Lav+/lav). Whose line is it from? FWIW, lavender (aka self blue) has been bred into many blue silkies over the last 8 or 10 years.

8. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    does anybody have pics of a lavender or blue silkie? what is the difference between the two. Just curious. Thanks

9. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be both lavender and splash (genetically Bl/Bl lav/lav),

Doesn't look like it & there's no way of telling whether it's het. for lavender unless one has a lavender with which to breed it.​

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Jaynie he looks very typey but doesn't look like a lavender in the photo. I think the Lavs are one clear color all the way through

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by