Lavender to Blue breeding

AndreaRa

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2021
Can I breed my Blue Copper rooster to my Self Blue Ameraucana without any issues when breeding back offsprings or is that a no no ?…

Can I breed my Blue Copper rooster to my Self Blue Ameraucana without any issues when breeding back offsprings or is that a no no ?…
I think generally people avoid mixing blue and lavender, because it can lead to a genetic mess down the road, in that it becomes impossible to tell what birds are carrying genetically for choosing breeders for successive generations.

but if you’re just doing it for fun, and not intending to sell them, etc, then go for it!

I think generally people avoid mixing blue and lavender, because it can lead to a genetic mess down the road, in that it becomes impossible to tell what birds are carrying genetically for choosing breeders for successive generations.

but if you’re just doing it for fun, and not intending to sell them, etc, then go for it!
Yeah, the main problem I've noticed is a lot of lighter blues look like self blues

I am intending to breed to sell that is why I wanted to know before going with the breeding. What about with White Is that ok? But Thank you for answering I will not go forward

If you're breeding pure breeds to the SOP don't mix blue and lavender (self blue) unless you make absolute sure buyers are aware they are mixed colour and no good for any pure colour pen. Nothing worse than having lavender or blue based lavender pop up in your pens where it's not wanted. If your crossing breeds then it's not as much of an issue, I would still let buyers know that any black and blue birds would be split lavender and the possibility of blue based lavenders in the second generation

If you're breeding pure breeds to the SOP don't mix blue and lavender (self blue) unless you make absolute sure buyers are aware they are mixed colour and no good for any pure colour pen. Nothing worse than having lavender or blue based lavender pop up in your pens where it's not wanted. If your crossing breeds then it's not as much of an issue, I would still let buyers know that any black and blue birds would be split lavender and the possibility of blue based lavenders in the second generation

It is not for sop Its for Olive Eggers
It’s to create Olive Eggers

I am intending to breed to sell that is why I wanted to know before going with the breeding. What about with White Is that ok? But Thank you for answering I will not go forward
White is a bit tricky because there is dominant white and recessive white, so the results kinda depends on what kind of white genetics you have.

But since your interest is in making and selling olive eggers, and not pure breeds, I’d say don’t worry too much about crossing the blues and lavenders, or using whites with those.

Go for it, and have fun!

Since you’d be selling them as mixed bred olive Eggers the buyer would know they are mixed genetics, and would not be trying to use those birds for breeding show birds or in a pure breed project.

White is a bit tricky because there is dominant white and recessive white, so the results kinda depends on what kind of white genetics you have.

But since your interest is in making and selling olive eggers, and not pure breeds, I’d say don’t worry too much about crossing the blues and lavenders, or using whites with those.

Go for it, and have fun!

Since you’d be selling them as mixed bred olive Eggers the buyer would know they are mixed genetics, and would not be trying to use those birds for breeding show birds or in a pure breed project.
I wasn’t sure if it created a feather shredding issue not sure if thats a thing but thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom