Lavender x Silver Ameraucana ?

justmeandtheflock

Overrun with ducklings :)
10 Years
May 27, 2009
NW NJ
I have a few extra lavender ameraucana cockerels up for sale and was asked if they would be good for breeding with silver pullets. I have no idea what went into creating the silver and what might come out of breeding them with lavenders. I am not very experienced with genetics (yet
smile.png
) Anyone have any idea if this is a good idea? TIA

Last edited:
I played around with the chicken calculator, and it looks like you would get all black chicks from the first generation. If you mated those siblings together, you would expect some lavender, some black, and probably quite a few non- standard colors.

It depends on what your goals would be whether or not this is a "good" idea. If you are looking to make more lavenders, you could do it. You may end up with some non standard colors, which could then be sold as EE's. Is lavender even an accepted color yet? I think it may still be a "project" color.

If you are specifically looking to improve the lavenders, you might be best off finding some good quality black hens.

I'm getting some lavender and wheaten chicks from Jean Ribbeck next week, in case you need some, depending on how far you are from Philadelphia.

Thanks for the reply
smile.png
Lavender is not accepted yet, hopefully soon.

Are the chicks you are getting bantam? I really want wheaten/blue wheaten's but I think I need to take it easy until I can get all of my extra roos out of here. I have had 3 hatches the would up being all boys this year.

Back
Top Bottom