Lawn Mowing Sheep

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by egggarden, Sep 5, 2008.

1. egggarden

egggarden Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    We are going to get three lawn-mowing sheep. Anyone have experience with sheep? Can they share pasture with chickens?

2. honeyk

honeyk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    easton, pa
    We have 2 Shetland sheep sharing the pasture with 9 hens and 2 roosters. We also have 33 2 week old babies that will eventually join them. Have not had a single problem, in fact the oldest hen, Clementine seems to be inseparable from the sheep. Wherever the sheep are, that is where Clemmy is. Sometimes I find them sitting together in the barn....looks like they're just chatting. I will say that if the sheep start to run the chicens will get out of the way.

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Sheep are great, they get along with everything. Make sure you have good fences, they like too test them all the time.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    When we had chickens pastured with sheep, they got along great. The chickens liked to hang out with the sheep and followed them as they grazed. When the sheep would lounge around, taking a bit of a nap, the chickens would, too. Sometimes on the back of one of the sheep. The chickens were never bothered by hawks when they were with the sheep, which was great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by