Lawn service applied pre-emergent without asking me

MainStreetChicks

Hatching
Apr 19, 2018
The lawn service I used last year (before I had my chickens) just put down a granular pre-emergent. He told me it doesn't get into what grows, but rather creates a barrier in the soil to prevent growth. How long before I can let my chickens out of the run once the granulars dissolve?

Oh dear. No idea. Good luck. How large is the area? Can you soak the heck out of it to help it dissolve quicker? If it’s a small area, can you inactivate it with charcoal or something?

We have gotten a lot of rain but I can still see some of the granulars. I figure I will just wait until they are all gone but I'm not sure whether that will do it - whether it needs to be out of the soil... I just don't know.

So sorry not to be of more help. I hope others jump into the conversation. I live out “in the country,” but it’s in the Bay Area in California, so not large acreage like in other parts of the country. It’s very rustic, and I don’t have lawn service. My “lawn” is pasture I’ve been growing for months by literally throwing seed. Native weeds, along with flax, alfalfa, clover, lentils, buckwheat, and milo are mixed in with the grass. My flock loves it. I keep it mowed like a lawn, even though it’s really more of a small pasture.
Anyway, for fertilizer, I’ve started using “deep litter” in the run. I have sand, rice hulls, pine shavings, and larger sticks (to create air pockets) in the run and turn it with the droppings at least once a week with a pitch fork. My run does not have a roof (only chicken wire) so it gets natural moisture from rain. When it doesn’t rain, I occasionally spray it down with a hose.
My point is... after this stuff gets mixed up for a month or so, it’s the best fertilizer ever and I spread it around the yard by the shovel full. This may not work if you have a pristine, manicured yard and lawn, but it’s FABULOUS in a rustic setting where lawn and pasture are the same thing and I know with 100% certainly it’s safe for my flock. Is this something g you might consider down the road?

How frustrating! I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
Do you know what was used? If so you may be able to find info online about it that could be useful in making your decision.

The lawn service I used last year (before I had my chickens) just put down a granular pre-emergent. He told me it doesn't get into what grows, but rather creates a barrier in the soil to prevent growth. How long before I can let my chickens out of the run once the granulars dissolve?

It would be best to contact your lawn service and ask about the specific product that was used - they should be able to provide the information or at least direct you to the manufacturer's MSDS sheet.

I would keep the chickens penned until you get a clear answer.

Good luck.

So sorry not to be of more help. I hope others jump into the conversation. I live out “in the country,” but it’s in the Bay Area in California, so not large acreage like in other parts of the country. It’s very rustic, and I don’t have lawn service. My “lawn” is pasture I’ve been growing for months by literally throwing seed. Native weeds, along with flax, alfalfa, clover, lentils, buckwheat, and milo are mixed in with the grass. My flock loves it. I keep it mowed like a lawn, even though it’s really more of a small pasture.
Anyway, for fertilizer, I’ve started using “deep litter” in the run. I have sand, rice hulls, pine shavings, and larger sticks (to create air pockets) in the run and turn it with the droppings at least once a week with a pitch fork. My run does not have a roof (only chicken wire) so it gets natural moisture from rain. When it doesn’t rain, I occasionally spray it down with a hose.
My point is... after this stuff gets mixed up for a month or so, it’s the best fertilizer ever and I spread it around the yard by the shovel full. This may not work if you have a pristine, manicured yard and lawn, but it’s FABULOUS in a rustic setting where lawn and pasture are the same thing and I know with 100% certainly it’s safe for my flock. Is this something g you might consider down the road?
Yes, in fact I am using the deep litter method in my coop and it's working out well. The chickens do a great job of keeping everything all mixed up. I keep some long trays underneath their roost and then dump the bulk of their droppings into a compost. I'm just getting started since I only got my chicks the last month in August (6 of them). We had record breaking cold weather this winter and they fared very well but now we're eager to get out in the yard - finally! It don't have plans to keep a manicured lawn, now with my chickens - I just need to get through, what I hope is, a short-term problem.

It would be best to contact your lawn service and ask about the specific product that was used - they should be able to provide the information or at least direct you to the manufacturer's MSDS sheet.

I would keep the chickens penned until you get a clear answer.

Good luck.
Yes, agree! Just having problems getting a clear answer. I'm starting to suspect what I thought were undissolved white crystal chemicals, are only little white pebbles. I tried to dissolve them an couldn't! Having problems getting them to return my calls.

Back
Top Bottom