Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

If he doesn`t get infected in a week, take the bandage off and let the wound dry. Ya still hafta watch for flies, but it will heal a lot better if it`s open.I wouldn`t bother with the vet, you`re doing good. He will recover and learn to deal with it. Trust me......Pop

OK... so after a trip to Walgreen's and spending more money then if it was my own foot that was amputated I have done the best I can.
He has eaten 2 of my little pullet eggs boiled and about a tablespoon of plain yogurt. I didn't see him drink and he was panting so I used a syringe and put gatorade at the edge of his beak and he drank it thirstily. Then I did the same with some fresh water until he started shaking his head. I bundled him up in his towel and wrapped his stump with a sterile pad coated with antibiotic, then I wrapped it and taped it. It was a clunky looking mess and I don't know how long it will last, but when I put him back in the kennel he was standing with the leg gently resting on the other towel.

Where one of his toes was amputated, the little sliver of bone is all that is left. He didn't fuss when I messed with it so I just wrapped it too.

Oh my Lord, this poor bird is ripping my heart out.

ETA - I didn't flush with the betadine because he already had such a thick coating of ointment on it. When I change his bandage in the morning I will try to clean it up better. All I have is layer pellets (other than egg and a little bit more yogurt).... is that ok?

Last edited:
Quote:
you did good. just check it everyday to make sure flies arent getting to it and clean it and reapply everything. Pop is awesome-after a week -if it looks like its healing good-let it air dry-

I have used bag balm on wounds that wont heal also
hit.gif
Good luck poor guy.

If you can't give an antibiotic injection today, then honestly, I'd really (gently) scrub and flush out that wound now, especially since there is bone involvement. I think infection is your biggest worry, and there's got to be a lot of bacteria in there. If he doesn't get too infected, he can probably survive and do fairly well once it heals. Good luck.

I just realized I bought "Povadine" do I still need to dilute it? will this work?

Back
Top Bottom