Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

thanks all. I was so worried about doing the right thing I had to take something to help me sleep last night.

I got up super early (for me - night worker
wink.png
) about 7 and went out to check on Kubota. When I opened my door I heard crowing, but I have a rooster and my neighbor has 2-3 more; but sure enough, there was Kubota in all his beautiful huge glory on one leg crowing for his breakfast!
All that seperates Mr Bs chickens from mine is a privacy fence, so I figure if there were diseases to worry about I'd already know - but I don't want to take chances. So I tended my girls first, went ahead and fed the horses and then got my mobile hospital supply room and went to work.

I thought it would be easier since I didn't have to fool with a flashlight, but it is very awkward handling an injured bird of his size. He let me lay him in my lap on his side. I wised up and put a plastic bag between him and my lap - no more povadine stained clothes (hopefully). The bandage was a little stuck around the top, so I used scissors to get it opened and then poured some lukewarm water on it and let it soak a second, it came off easily. The leg appeared relatively clean but his stump is still
sickbyc.gif
. I don't think it is infected, it was a little warm but not too, and certainly not "hot".

I rinsed with the lukewarm water and gently used the rag again. Doused with Povadine and let it soak, then gave it another squirt for good measure. I absolutely filled every gap, hole and scrape to the overfilling with ointment (about half a tube), and THEN put ointment on the sterile gauze (not the linty kind... ). Wrapped with bandage and taped the clunky mess. I put him back in the kennel and fed him egg, yogurt and layer, made sure he has fresh water (put a little squirt of gatorade in his beak). He went nuts over the food, so I will probably give him more in a little bit when I check on him. Guess my girls had good timing to start laying those tiny little eggs.
smile.png

Kubota ( no new leg pics - didn't want to get ointment and other gunk on my cell phone)

51084_kubstinkeye.jpg

51084_kubota3.jpg

51084_kubota2.jpg

51084_kubeating.jpg

All gone
51084_kubotaday2.jpg

He is looking good!!!
big_smile.png
He seems to be grateful that you are tending to him or I believe he wouldn't be so cooperative through his dressing changes.
I hope all goes well and no infection sets in! He looks like such a sweetheart!

thanks

He fussed at me a little bit but never offered to act mean. When I was wrapping his stump I thought he was pecking at my arm, but he was just nudging it and when I moved he tucked his head under my arm. I guess he thought he was hiding from whatever was hurting him.

He ate a few layer pellets but scarfs up every crumb of egg and drop of yogurt (even a little that he spilled on his towel!). I know normally giving just treat foods is not a good thing, but I figure he deserves some spoiling? I also figure he needs more than egg and yogurt so I will offer him some watermelon later. I am pretty scarce on groceries until next week... I think I have strawberries and some leftover english peas. Any other suggestions?
ETA - I think they are pretty much strictly free range, and maybe an occasional toss out of kitchen scraps?

Last edited:
I think whatever he will eat that is a good protein source will be fine. High protein foods will promote healing of his wounds. Will your neighbor be willing to help financially on getting him better? Yogurt isn't cheap and neither are all of the dressing supplies!

Cottage cheese is a good source of protein and not as expensive as yogurt. Also will several feedings out of one carton, and they come in different sizes. Good luck with this roo! I sure hope he makes it!

I fed my damaged roo a mash made with chick crumbles in water (I bought pedialyte for the minerals, etc. since he didn't eat anything for about 6 days after his injury). I also mixed oatmeal into the mash. He's up and going again! You could also just crumble the layer pellets (with a mortar and pestle) although the makeup of the chick starter has way more protein... which he probably needs right now.

K... I don't mind buying a small bag of starter, and I'll get some more yogurt and cottage cheese and hope he likes those. I went to check on him and my dog went with me and Kubota did his "velociraptor" clicking and growling, so he still knows he is a big man. I am hopeful Mr B will just let me keep him if he makes it - he won't be able to defend himself against the other roos (Mr B has 2-3 more, I only have Big Poppy) , he won't be stable enough to mount a hen (which is a shame, he is so gorgeous)... at my house I have a 150sqft section of my pen I can seperate out for him and he can free range some too.
If not, I don't know that I will ask Mr B for $, I made the decision to take the bird (with his permission). I just couldn't stand the thought of him in a dirt pen alone, hurting and dealing with ants / flies.. probably rats once they smelled the blood?

I still plan to call my vet in the morning. If nothing else they can help me really clean it up and splint it for some support so he doesn't have to prop up on the stump. And maybe give him a shot of penicillin, me some to take with me?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom