Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

Quote:
YES... made ones out of the corner of a plastic milk jug and velcro... the plastic was just flexilbe enough... will give directions if needed... BUT I don't think he will need one... he still has a part of his foot (or so it looks like) so he will have plenty to stand on.
My roo had no feet at all and after he learned to stand and balance, he no longer used the "feet"... walked just fine on 2 stumps... Stumpy.

Just wanted to say that I saw a link to this in the BYC Newsletter I got this morning - I have now spent the entire morning ignoring my children's pleas to play boardgames and have instead been swept up in all 19 page of this drama. Beyond captivating!

I've read it before and I'll repeat it - chicken people are just good people.
love.gif

Lorije1 - You mentioned some yucky flesh chunk...could you tie a small piece of string to it really tightly so it will fall off after a while. It if looks like you describe, it probably is not healthy. Getting it out of the way could be a good thing. Just a thought!

Lorije 1, I've been following this thread. This level of dedication, especially for a rooster that's not even yours, shows just how amazingly compassionate and patient you are.
I have neighbors that have let their chickens inbreed to the point that all chicks are being born without feet. Yes!! It's horrible really, but they all get along on their stumps.
I think if this boy pulls through he'll manage just fine.

I have just read this whole thread also & I must say you are a very dedicated animal lover, I am sure I would have culled just because I wouldnt know where to begin. After reading this though I might try in the future, does anybody have like A list of some of the emergency supplies and meds that we should have on hand in case of emergency or illness. good luck with Kubota and happy late B-day I will continue following your thread to see how your saga unfolds. luck to ya!

thanks all!
I am kind of zipping through at the moment.... I mentioned something about "shake and bake after lunch" to Kubota and he said he didn't itch anymore
tongue.png

He does have a good sized portion of his foot left, but part of it is that yuck mess of flesh. I will take a pic and if there are folks who can stomach it, I will post it....
sickbyc.gif

Evidently yesterday when I did the honey treatment I smeared it all over the trailer as well as Kubota and myself - because there are tons of bees flying around!
ep.gif
so once again I pulled the kennel out of the trailer and washed it down.

I want to let his leg air dry for a while, so I will probably unwrap him right after I eat and leave him unwrapped while I run to the store (more bandage, gauze and povadine
th.gif
). I'll also start poking around with some sling ideas. I did hydrotherapy on his legs this morning, didn't get to do much with his good leg so I will work on that this afternoon.

He is loving the crickets, even though I dunk them in various things in order to get dirt to stick to them - yogurt, supplement, wet cat food. He drinks water really well, no more syringe-supply of gatorade.

I am going to remove the "Urgent" from the title for now, hopefully I won't need that part again.

Lorije1, you are an angel! Stars in heaven for you! Same goes for you ppl on here helping...you are all amazing! I haven't been on BYC for months but came across this post by a BYC newsletter in my inbox and haven't stopped reading all 19 pages with my morning coffee!!! I had to pull myself away to tend to my farm critters but came right back to this LOL PLEASE KEEP US POSTED Lorije1! I hope Kubota is ok but it looks & sounds like he will make it only because of you!
big_smile.png
We have a crew of many hens that we rescue from breeders that would've otherwise been put down. Whenever they get one that's been wounded or imperfect to sell we get them. Alot of our hens have mangled feet,etc. from getting caught in fans,etc. as chicks but we take them in from the breeders and they learn to grow and run around & have great lives. Kubota can learn to walk on his stub and it's true what ppl say that they are so strong!
We even have a crook'neck hen that shouldn't have lasted as long as she has and she is doin' great. She just hatched a chick and an excellent mom LOL We have another one who got her head caught in something and it wobbles like a wobbly-head and she's cute as hell to watch running thru the yard! lol I am new to this lifestyle as I married into it 3 years ago but I am learning along the way & protect them with my life. Ppl on here have been great for advice as I have used this before too!
wink.png
God Bless the ones who are there for these vulnerable critters! You have done an awesome thing you know with this rooster.
I'm in Canada and if you need any $ let me know as well!
Anyways, I must go clean my coops & will check in later!
XO
Sunflowerbc

Almost forgot...I know it means more cost but this stuff isn't much. Liquid Vitamin D supplement. If you can get some add a few drops to his water for bone development/ailment. I use it all the time if one of my crew gets a wounded leg, like my crazy parrots LOL It always helps them to mend quickly & I swear by it! I try to take it myself.
lookin' forward to the progress reports!
Sunflowerbc
smile.png

I also clicked the link from the BYC newsletter and I am feeling all warm and fuzzy inside just reading your story! (lol, warm and fuzzy
tongue.png
) I think this lucky rooster will always love you!
love.gif
Keep up the great work, it looks like he will make it
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom