Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

Kudos to you, from yet another follower of Kubota and his journey back to health! I enjoy reading the updates each day and we are so glad that he seems to be getting better. You are racking up SO many good karma points for all of your love and care!
clap.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Lori Darlin'...you shoulda been a Vet!! Mr.K looks fabulous in the pictures & you are doing an ace job! He's cocka-doodle-dooin' too so that's a fantastic sign!! I think he's going to be fine hun. Luv your idea with the plastic coffee blanket...fabulous!!!!! Ppl that do stuff like this should get a humanity award
celebrate.gif

Thanks for the updates as you have many followers and we are all rootin' for ya!
I've learned so much myself with your story & am so thankful that there are ppl like you out there.
hugs.gif

God bless!

I accidentally dislocated the middle toe on one of our hens when she was about 10 weeks old. She is 2 years old now and, apart from going into reverse every so often to straighten it out, it never bothers her even though it is crossed over the others. I think that maybe they don't have much feeling in their legs and feet compared to the rest of their bodies, so I hope your rooster is not in too much pain after all. Your efforts to nurse him back to health are heroic and I wish you luck with this. If there is protruding bone, you may need veterinary help with that though.

Have you snipped the jagged end of that bone yet? If not I agree that it needs to be done. Maybe if you choose to do it yourself you can use a pair od heavy duty bolt cutters or the hand held cutters for bushes and such. I cant think of the name of them. I would think that he would need to get some good tissue growth around that bone end to ever really get better and use that leg. As long as there is bone exposed I think he is really suceptable to a raging infection. Can you post new pics of his leg? Maybe a close up of the bone??? Just thinking
smile.png

Quote:
I have a sizzle that lost the end of a toe. It looks like the bone is just barely stickin out but it cuold be the nail just broken down. I had checked feet just 3 days before I noticed she was holding one foot up. So on inspection I saw why. I took her in and soaked her foot in salt water and gave her a bath. She got to spend the night with George, that made him happy, and the next morning I rechecked the foot and it looked like the toe had already healed and the skin had grown around the bone (or nail) and the tip of the bone (or nail) wasn't open and jagged. It looked like it had been filed round and there was no opening. So back in the pen she went and she has been fine. I recheck her every few days to make sreu no infection but she's fine. That was 2 weeks ago.

It was soooo hot this afternoon - that hot, muggy, no breeze miserable kind of hot. Kubota was panting so I gave him some cold water from the fridge and dribbled a little down his back under his feathers. I didn't want to wet him completely since the other day he seemed to get a little chilled. I gave him some yogurt straight from the fridge.

No, I haven't clipped anything off. He has been too weak to add more stress to him. I talked to Dr. Wife this afternoon and she will look at him on Thursday morning. She said she may only do jsut that... look... but she is willing to help where she can. (lol she said her answer may be "yep, that's a one legged rooster alright!"). If she feels comfortable and if it doesn't cost more than my house payment, I may ask her to trim him up some. I have a pretty good routine of wrapping and soaking, so doing it a while longer won't hurt. (of course - I left him unwrapped this afternoon while I am at work, and as long as he is doing ok when I get home I will probably leave it overnight as well).

The only place that looks worrisome (the chunk of yuck is just dead, it isn't rotting or anythign) is on the bottom of his leg up near his hock. I think it jsut stays too wet between being wrapped, soaked and then tucked under him when in the kennel. If he does ok unwrapped I will probably clean it good and soak it in either epsoms or povadine in the morning, let him in his sling, then wrap him tomorrow... jsut alternate days leaving him wrapped and unwrapped? What do you think?

I have to say, I still smile thinking of him crowing in that sling!

OH another question... kind of strange. I have beef liver and I was thinking that would be a great source of protein and iron if he will eat it.... the strange part is, couldn't I just feed it to him raw, as long as he eats it while it is still cold and fresh?

edited because I can't spell or type
smile.png

Last edited:
Any chance you'd consider opening up a PayPal account to let us donate to Kubota's vet fees and upkeep? Think about it. If so, please let us know the email address to send contributions to.

Back
Top Bottom