Laws concerning feeding pigs scraps from commercial kitchen PLEASE

Tootsie

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 13, 2008
Northern NJ
I am trying to locate the law where all food scraps given to pigs must be boiled if they came from a large dining hall facility. My friend said there is a federal law concerning this. Can anyone help me with this?

You can find lots of state laws on the subject via Google; for example, SC says garbage has to be 'cooked' first, with the exception of home garbage fed to home-consumed hogs (http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t47c015.htm).

My understanding is that there is also a federal law, which might be findable that way too. (I didn't really look, but http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AN143 may give you enough info to devise a better search for that specifically

It is only for hogs going to be given/sold to someone else, though; I do not believe there are any legal restrictions on it for your *home use* of the pork.

Pat

The text of the law pertaining to this:

There are no known permitting requirements for donors of food
scraps. It is, however, important that you find a farmer that has a
permit to accept commercial food scraps for feeding to livestock. The
1980 federal Swine Health Protection Act requires that farmers boil any
food scraps containing meat before they can be used as livestock feed.
State laws regarding treatment of nonmeat scraps used as animal feed
vary; some states require that the scraps be boiled, while others impose
no regulations. Some states prohibit scraps from cafeterias,
restaurants, or grocery stores from being fed to animals. Check with
your state veterinarian to find out if reusing food scraps as animal
feed is permitted in your state.

http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/partnerships/wastewise/pubs/farm.txt

If you are raising the pigs for commercial purposes, the scraps should be cooked. If you are raising them for your own consumption, no. My FIL used to get the leftovers from the school cafeteria. Some official from the health department paid him a visit. That is what the offical told my FIL.

Quote:
True, but feeding raw meat is a health risk to you, thats why some states outlaw it.

It because of the worms that live in muscle of animals. If the meat is cook well no trouble.

Pigs can also get it from eating mice and rats. Reason you should never eat raw pork. Ok for beef, because they dont eat meat.

Thanks so much for your answers they did help. This place wants to feed baby pigs all the leftover food garbage and my fear is this will attract every predator in the woods as they want to build their pen at the edge of the forest. They intend to sell them after 6 weeks for slaughter.

They don't even want to put them on concrete or anything.

Trichinosis. Worm trichina The immature worm encapsulate themselves in muscle swine,mices,rats,and people.

So guess if the meat was from any animal that didnt eat meat it would be ok to feed if raw like beef,deer,goat,sheep.

Any way thats the reason for laws to keep people from feed raw meat.

Back
Top Bottom