layed back layer

kareninthesun

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
I have one novice layer whom just doesn't wanna use any of the nesting boxes, the coop, anywhere there is hay, or the popular hidden nest I'm not supposed to know exists. Instead, she just does her thing, and stops to pop one out. I found one right NEXT to the hidden nest, and the rest all around the middle of the big yard. Kinda reminds me of a young child whom doesn't want to leave where the fun is happening until it is too late and pants need changing...I'm not sure which hen it is, but I'm pretty sure she'll figure it out soon enough. In the meantime, good thing they've trained me to look down to avoid the occasional landmines! It's a good thing my dog is protective of All Things Related to Chicken. If I forget to case the area, she will literally point it out and whine until I pick it up. Good girl!

What a lazy chicken... and what a fantastic dog!

She's funny. Half black lab, half pit. If she spies something interesting on the other side of the fence and goes to check it out, the hens will literally gang up and PUSH her away from the fence so they can see. I had a trampaline in the yard and had to dismantle, give it away, because she was always jumping on it to bounce and see what was happening all over the neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom