1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layed First Egg a week from today....now nothing???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buttercup0884, Aug 1, 2011.

1. buttercup0884

buttercup0884 The Farm Girl at Twilight

Apr 30, 2011
    Ararat
    my 21 week old Buff Orpington laid her very first egg last Monday morning. She has not laid a single one since then, unless she is hiding them? I do allow them to free range, and her first egg was found in the rose garden, but we have looked everywhere!! I hate to pen her up just to get more eggs from her but this is kind of ridiculous. Any Ideas or Suggestions [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    My BO did something similar. She laid her first egg, then in the next 5 days laid 3 more. Then nothing for 11 days. I search everywhere but didn't find a thing. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but on the morning of the 12th day, she squatted and laid an egg practically on my foot. From that day on, she laid every single day for the next 63 days - right in the nest box each time. Sometimes it just takes a bit for them to get the whole system worked out, I think.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    She may just need to be penned up until she learns that a nest box is where she is supposed to lay her eggs. If she layed the one egg in the rose garden, she may have just found a better hiding place to lay them-one that you can't find [​IMG] She may just not know that the nestbox is where those eggs need to go [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by