Layena, To use or not to use?

My normal feed is a mash. I either grind it at home or have the mill custom grind/mix for me. I've used all three types. I had less waste with pellets than either crumbles or mash. However, the price on my mash is low enough that any waste is more than made up.

I don't have any problems with Layena, but my girls do. They just will not eat it. They were picky about other brands of "layer" type feeds too and I was starting to wonder what to do with them. Egg production was down, shells were thin and I was worried. Then we stumbled into the solution - flockraiser. We had just integrated some younger chicks and that's what they are on and my hens went crazy over it. So they are all getting flockraiser with oyster shell on the side for the big girls. Eggs are much better now.

Me and mine love Layena. I made the mistake a while back of changing to a cheaper feed from a local mill. They all got the stinky runs. My eggshells were ultra-thin, even with oyster shell and the yolks were runny. I still have folks who haven't called back for eggs since that incident. I won't leave you again Layena!

I used to feed Layena pellets and had no problems with it, but I have since found a pelleted feed that has 2% more (animal) protein, and I like what I'm seeing with this feed much better (it's Buckeye breeder/layer pellets). My girls seem to have nicer feathers, and actually seem a bit more content. I'm unsure if it's due to the change in feed (I switched about 4 months ago) or not, but I'm leaving things as is for now.

Quote:
Same here. I also had a lot of chicks die from their chick starter. I complained, along with a friend that was a long term customer of theirs, 18 years, and they wrote us compensation checks for lost chicks. Mine was like $650 or something....

Its interesting how a number of you say your birds don't like the pellets. Mine are fond of pellets and I feed the meat birds pellets as well when they graduate up to that size. I find it to be less waste.

I wonder if the feed changes from areas that its made or is there only one plant for the US?

Mine were just switched to layena layer from purina start n grow. My chicks seem happy and healthy. I've always fed crumbles with no waste. I make my feeders out of pvc pipe and they can't bill it out. I don't worry about the soy protein because my chickens get plenty of bugs thown to them. Mine just started laying so i haven't gotten to eat one yet. hoping to get big eggs soon.

Mine lay better on Layena and eat it well. The local alternative is Hi Pro which i'll only buy if they have nothing else. They usually scratch most of it out of the feeders, and only eat it when they realise that's all they're getting. Hi Pro is more expensive and the quality is dreadful. Flock Raiser is wonderful but our feedstore is often sold out, I buy that first if they have it.

I've used a few different types of feed, but the one that has been the best by far for my flock has been the Purina Layena and the Start and Grow (also Purina) for the small chicks. The TSC feed was fair, but they didn't seem to do well on it, and their poo was REALLY stinky, somewhat runny, and drew flies like you wouldn't believe. It is not so with the Purina feeds. Since I let them freerange when I'm home, and they have access to a LARGE run (50'X250') when I'm not home, they find enough bugs & worms to keep them happy. Their feathers look better on the Purina, and I plan to keep using it.

ETA: mine like crumbles MUCH better than the pellets, and since I have both LF and bantams, the crumbles are easily eaten by all. There's very little waste b/c the very small chickens (bantams & younger chicks) scoop up what the older ones dig out that ends up on the floor & under the hanging feeder.

Last edited:
Quote:
I feed my birds Layena crumbles....mostly for the younger birds who don't like the pellets.

I toss in some cracked corn for treats, but not too often.

I'm also using Manna Pro for my show birds to get them ready for the fairs.

Back
Top Bottom