Layer feed for younger birds

TheDisease21002

Chirping
Jan 17, 2019
UAE, Al Ain
How detrimental would a layer crumble feed be for chickens that are between 0-12 weeks old? or right until before it should be consumed. I read that it can damage the chickens liver somewhere. I'm curious to know how badly layer feed would affect younger birds. will the consequences be faced later in life or immediately? Is it long term damage or easily repairable etc.

Chicks need the extra protein, vitamins, and minerals in chick starter/grower. This is essential growing properly. Layer could be fed chicks in a one time, emergency situation. Like you can't get to town until tomorrow and are out of chick feed. This won't cause long term effects, but shouldn't be done on a regular basis. Chick feed is specifically designed to contain all the essential stuff chicks need, layer ration is not.

Chicks need the extra protein, vitamins, and minerals in chick starter/grower. This is essential growing properly. Layer could be fed chicks in a one time, emergency situation. Like you can't get to town until tomorrow and are out of chick feed. This won't cause long term effects, but shouldn't be done on a regular basis. Chick feed is specifically designed to contain all the essential stuff chicks need, layer ration is not.
:goodpost:

EXCELLENT advice!

Need a good chick starter grower medicated feed 20% for best weight gain until 8 weeks then a good 18% starter grower nonmedicated after 8 weeks of age until 18 weeks or laying then 16 % layer feed. Chick grit from 3 weeks until 8 weeks on the side and poultry grit from 8 weeks on. Starter oyster shell supplement at 15 weeks on the side to prepare for laying. :)

So, too much calcium in non-layers will cause long term kidney damage that is hard to repair/regenerate. It takes 2-5 years before they just spontaneously die for things like roosters. Sometimes one makes it through past that, but it's less common.
Layer feed also doesn't meet the nutritional requirements for chicks. Not enough proteins etc, which means they end up eating even more food and getting even more excess calcium.

Feed chick or starter/grower until they are 16 weeks then switch to a flock raiser/all flock, then when they lay you can switch to the layer feed or just offer calcium on the side with the flock raiser. If you feed layer pellets to a non-layer expect them to have a lower lifespan.

I wouldn't give layers feed till at least 16 weeks of age.
With my first Flock of chickens, I waited till their combs were turning red and swollen. They were squatting when I put my hand over them and they were looking for a place to make a nest.
That happened around 16 weeks for my Golden Comets.
I still have three Comets 34 months old and I have seven 6 months old Barred Rocks.
I no longer give them a layers feed. I give all of them a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser crumble 20% with Oyster Shells separately.
I get beautiful eggs from both Flocks. 20190221_052914.jpg .
I experienced feather picking when I switched to a 16% layers feed with my first Flock. So I like a feed with 18 to 20% Protein. I can get 18% layers feed but I have a retired hen, she hasn't laid since May and my older hens went through molt this winter, one didn't lay for 3 months. They don't need the extra calcium if not laying. GC

Back
Top Bottom