Layer feed - pellets vs crumbles?

LuvinMyPeeps

Songster
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Powhatan, VA 23139
Hi again BYCers - I have yet another question for you.

I'm patiently waiting for my first eggs from my girls. They look healthy enough, but they don't seem to be enjoying their food much. When I used to give them the grower feed they would scramble to their feeder when I refilled it. Now that I switched to layer feed (they're about 23-24 wks), they just glance away. I got the layer feed at Tractor supply and it's pellets. Is there a smaller 'crumble' (for lack of a better word) for a layer feed that I can buy them? I really want them to enjoy eating.

Also, I've been feeding them scratch in the mornings as a treat. How much should I be giving them? Is 2 scoops (large dog food scoop size) too much? I dont want them to just eat the scratch, they need their protein.....and I want some eggs!!!!!
barnie.gif

Thanks,

There is a laying crumble some feed stores call it laying mash. As far as what and how much to give I dunno Imnew to this too but I have both pellets and crumble. some of the pellets seem to turn to powder and I mix a little water with it to make it like a paste and mine seem to really like that.

How many birds do you have? Maybe you're giving them too much in the treat department (scratch). Like the person before said, lay off the scratch for a while and when they are hungry they'll eat the food first. then you can probably start giving them scratch in small amounts, and make sure they are eating their main food.

Sounds like they might be filling up on scratch. I would cut the scratch back to a cup a day and finish up the bag of pellets that you have. Chickens won't starve themselves! It's not in their nature! If they still don't seem crazy about the pellets when the bag is finished, then switch to the layer crumbles and see how they do with those.
smile.png

It's real easy to over-do the treats and if they are full of "Goodies" they most likely will not be interested in the layer pellets. Thisnk of them as small children who are given the choice of all the Hershey's Kisses they can eat or Peas and Carrots. It's the same scenerio.
wink.png
Treats are fine, but they are just that, treats. Use them in moderation.

I'm going to revive this old thread, as I have a similar question. My gold sexlink was the first to start laying a couple of months ago. She was laying daily for several weeks. Most of my other birds are laying now but Miss Piggy (GSL) hasn't laid for about a week now and for a week before that she only laid every few days. In that time we were able to get a good price on some pellet layer feed (we were using crumbles before). I noticed that Miss Piggy won't eat the pellets. We mixed some crumbles in with the pellets but she pecks around the pellets gold mining for the crumbles. Could the change in diet (and her pickiness) be contributing to her not laying? Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Back
Top Bottom