Layer feed prices

I just had a botched feed experience myself. My regular place was closed the monday after new year (more power to him) but I needed feed and went to another place. I knew the layer mash there was full of "other plant material" aka sawdust so I went ahead and bought the crumble. He used to sell Kent which I could live with. When it came out it was another completely different brand I had not heard of ADM or AMD. The ingredient list had "other plant material" listed third with animal byproducts listed 4th. It was cheep at 11.00 for 50 lb but when I put some out so the flock would have something to eat they would not eat it. Three days later they are still not eating it and I went back to my regular guy and got his own blended layer. It cost a little more but I know what is and is not in it.

Anyway I will be mixing the tree trimmings feed in with the duck food. I do not want that garbage in my eggs. The moral of the story is...You get what you pay for.

Wish we had a feed mill here. Even the co-op's feed has gone up, but still, I pay only $11.95/50# for Tucker Milling Mini Pellets there. That is a $2/bag increase over a couple of years ago, which is one reason I'm downsizing slowly over time on my standard size birds.

Back
Top Bottom